PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

drennan

Can't Leave
Mar 30, 2014
Normandy
The last few months has been a pleasant journey trying different blends, I suppose I've smoked around a dozen different tins. Oriental style blends are my favourite with SG Skiff being my favourite of the blends I've tried, I really enjoy the interplay between the sweet, sour and slight peppery flavours and then every now and again an almost floral or incense flavour that comes in before disappearing again. Lovely :puffy:
So, What are our favourite oriential blends?

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
I tend toward the flavor factor of orientals.
Exclusiv Royal is an old school German OTC, and it holds the honor of being my current "go to" blend.
Check out some reviews and make up your own mind
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/2396/exclusiv-royal

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Presbyterian Mixture, Yenidje Highlander, Smyrna No. 1, and Durbar (which is coming back this year).
Bob

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Orientals add a nice resonance and depth to blends, all the more because they are not used so much.

I used to have a small supply of Izmir which made a nice mix with Virginias and other tobaccos.
Just FYI, a friend of Chinese ancestry informed me that "Oriental" is heard as an insult by people of

Chinese lineage. I think it was used/abused during times when Europe was a big presence in Asia.
Also, a Hawaiian friend who had a Polynesian dad and a Chinese mom told me that Chinaman is a

bad insult. This was useful knowledge because he was raised on martial arts. We staffed the veterans

office together, and I was the smoother-over guy, and he was the back-off-asshole man. The good cop

and the bad cop. Usually, the good cop (he could do that one too) worked for us. Just that some guys

came in upset, but mostly we got them their benefits and all was well.

dryseason91

Can't Leave
Oct 10, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
I love McConnell's Original Oriental. There's big latakia on the nose but it's hardly detectable in the taste, providing just enough body for the orientals to present their lovely, dry, sourish character.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
I've really fallen down the Oriental rabbit hole.
I just ordered several new blends, but the only one I've smoked is C&D's Oriental Silk out of the new batch. Honestly I've had some trouble with C&D blends before and this one is somewhat reminding me of that. I think I fit into the McCelland blending house much better. However my favorite blends with Orientals in them thus far are...
Tudor Castle (I always buy extra on every order)

Rattray's Red Rapparee (Took about 3/4 a tin before I got into this)

Lane's Leo (Bit more of an English tilt)

Early Morning Pipe (The one that started it all)

Chelsea Morning (there's so many things going on in this blend, but to me it's got a huge Oriental component)

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I'm in the Oriental rabbit hole as well and I'm finding that I have far to go as I explore the different leafs, blends. I've always been partial to the exotics but only recently have started to develop an awareness of the differing nuances of the other non-Latakia staples. I've always been a lat fan but it's getting to be more enjoyable as I learn to hunt for the other, sometimes delicate palette ticklers. Tobacco tasting is a never ending, always changing type of affair and I have finally learned to never discount any blend until it's been smoked several times and even set aside for a time to come back to and try again. As pipe smokers we are very fortunate to have so much out there to try and yet other times it can seem like a curse. Either way, I'm all in.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
It's hard to beat Red Rapparee for an Oriental fix, very sharp and sour. The Grand Orientals are great sweet Oriental blends.
One that I have not tried, or can't remember, and have heard great things about is Tashkent from Peretti of Boston. A friend who had some claimed it was the Oriental version of Pirate Kake. I also keep seeing things about Tudor Castle, but that has also not made the rotation.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Coalsmoke. http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/mccellands-tudor-castle-thoughts
Coalsmoke and Lochinvar if you guys want a nip of Tudor Castle and your in the 48 States, PM your addresses. I'll gladly send you some.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
Thanks Jah I appreciate it, but I've noticed you like a lot of blends I do, so I've already ordered two tins. Let's face it I only need a shadow of an excuse.

latbomber

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2013
To date my favorite "framing" of orientals has been in London Mixture. So delicious. I love the sour, full body playing against the smokiness of Latakia and the sweetness of VAs.

supdog

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2012
I too love the orientals. Some that I have smoked and enjoyed are: GLP Carravan, Dunhill London Mixture, Sunjammer and Mt. Marcy from H&H and PS English Oriental Supreme. If your a McC smoker you should try British Woods, Bombay Court and/or Oriental #14.

johnparker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2013
I agree with Peck; Tashkent is a great smoke. I am a novice, but am happy not to look further. Rich, smooth, and with a sort of ginger taste.

Status
Not open for further replies.