PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipesinperu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 21, 2014
I've mostly been a Virginia/VaPer smoker, but I've been on a big oriental kick for a while now, and am also currently loving McClelland's Black Shag, with its stoved Virginias and a hint of latakia... Perusing Tobacco Reviews, I came across McClelland's Bombay Court, which is supposedly very oriental-forward with latakia being a minor player, and I'm intrigued. How about some other blends that fit this bill? I've got pen, paper, and credit card at the ready.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Surprisingly good, out of a pipe show goody bag, Sutliff's Bulkan 957. Didn't expect too much, or didn't know what to expect, and I smoked right through that tin. Never had to jar it.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
Get ready old bean, these are my preferred stomping grounds.
Presbyterian Mixture- Very light on the latakia, very background. Great, fragrant Macedonian leaf, with nutty sweet Virginias. Smells sort of berry-ish when you open the tin, rest assured there is no flavoring.
McConnell Oriental- This one doesn't get much play, but it is awesome. Very musty and leathery, with some citrus on the tongue, great aroma. Very soft. More latakia than Presbyterian, but still low. Give it a five year rest, and the latakia is a vague, pleasant memeory in the blend.
Rattray Red Rapparee- The King. Mostly Turkish, very sharp and sour with grassy Virginias. Great, bold flavor. More Latakia still, but it's still a third fiddle.
And in case you haven't tried them, there is the Grand Oriental line from McClelland. Highlander is the only one with latakia, the others are all wonderful VA/OR blends, especially Drama and Smyrna.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
I JUST discovered, and am REALLY enjoying McClelland Frog Morton On The Town. I think it might fit your bill. It's Oriental forward but not overwhelming, great Virginias, a hint of Latakia. A nice balance of sweet and spice- I had a tin sitting forgotten about for 2 years and finally tried it. I've ordered more :)

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Yo Bob - if'n you like Oriental Silk, you might like Orion's Arrow, also by C&D.
dub - when you talk Orientals, are you wanting Turkish in the mix, or are you more into the tangier varietals?
There are some great selections mentioned above, and I would point to Namaste and Uhle's Golden Shag if you like things more on the Turkish side. Peretti's great Tashkent is maybe more robust than you might like.
Less Turkish Orientals that are worthy are Skiff and H&H Sunjammer. Really great morning starters for me when I'm on Orientals with little Lat are Campanile and Orcilla.
hp

les

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I'm not sure if this would qualify, but STP's John Cotton's #1 Mild, which will be released in December, is a mild Latakia blend with a nice balance between all components. It's an Oriental forward blend, but not to the point where they dominate. It's definitely been a favorite of mine in the line up.

pipesinperu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 21, 2014
I knew I could count on you guys to give me a nice, long shopping list, haha. Thanks for the suggestions and keep 'em coming!
And in case you haven't tried them, there is the Grand Oriental line from McClelland.

@lochinvar: I have a tin of Classic Samsun open right now, my first of the Grand Orientals, and I'm in love. 50-something reviews on Tobacco Reviews and only ONE (by Gentleman Zombie, for the record) mentions that this has stoved VAs! I would have been all over this long before now if I'd known that. Looks like I'll have to work my way through the whole line.
Speaking of stoved VAs, I really like how they work with the latakia in McC's Black Shag, and found this other offering by McClelland with stoved VAs, latakia, and orientals:
McClelland: Collector: Legends 50g

A generous portion of rich, top-quality Cyprian Latakia provides support and structure for dark stoved and red Virginias, deftly combined with Orientals, including Mahalla and the finest Drama. Reminiscent of the legendary, complex blends of times gone by, McClelland's Legends is a smooth, deeply smoky ribbon-cut blend that tastes at once bold and subtle. It is creamy with soft, quiet background hints of plum and currant.

Apparently created by Fred Hanna. Sounds delicious. Anyone tried it?
dub - when you talk Orientals, are you wanting Turkish in the mix, or are you more into the tangier varietals?

@les: What varietals, specifically, are meant by Turkish? As I mentioned above, I'm smoking some Classic Samsun and like it a lot, but do find it "softer"/mustier than some other varietals. Really like the Izmir in Waccamaw, for example. I like them all, really, but do prefer the sharper/more sour end of the spectrum, a la Matured Virginia #24, etc. I will give all of your suggestions a try!

wayneteipen

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
McClelland's Orient 996 is a good choice for someone who prefers virginia and oriental forward English blends where latakia plays a background role. The latakia is very light handed in this one and Bright and Red Virginias intermingle with Yenidje and other orientals. The latakia is Syrian.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Presbyterian Mixture- Very light on the latakia, very background. Great, fragrant Macedonian leaf, with nutty sweet Virginias. Smells sort of berry-ish when you open the tin, rest assured there is no flavoring.
Rattray Red Rapparee- The King. Mostly Turkish, very sharp and sour with grassy Virginias. Great, bold flavor. More Latakia still, but it's still a third fiddle.
These both sound fantastic to me. I find the mixture of certain Orientals, Virginias and some of the milder Burleys to be an interesting flavor as well.

backwoodsjack

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 25, 2015
Central Minnesota
I'll throw in McClelland's Wilderness.
Here is a quote form a review:
" Hanna/McClelland Wilderness

Gage: The tin aroma alone tells you there’s a lot going on in Wilderness, and Hanna makes no secret that, indeed, this mixture has a plethora of components. There’s Cyprian and Syrian Latakia, several individual types of Oriental tobacco including Yenidje, Drama, Mahalla and several types of Greek Basma, balanced and sweetened by red and dark stoved Virginias—12 tobaccos in all. Anyone who has tried a hand at blending tobaccos knows getting the right balance of even a few tobaccos is a challenge."
This is a blend I have yet to pin down. I have gone through half a tin, and every bowl is a little different.

It is mild, but never boring. Not heavy on Lat at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.