PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mustanggt

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 6, 2012
Robert McConnell Oriental. Also McClelland has many Grand Orientals with no latakia and are very interesting on the palette.

hugodrax

Can't Leave
Jan 24, 2013
Have you tried Campanile? I haven't had it in a while, but used to be a favorite. No latakia.

mrbigglesworth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 1, 2015
Winston Salem, NC
Is Frog Morton On the Town more oriental-forward than Across the Pond? I've not tried On the Town. I've discovered a a great bulk Balkan blend at my local B&M, but I'm not sure who makes it. I'll ask sometime this week. I am really getting into the orientals myself lately, so this thread has been helpful.

fyfol

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2015
I think SG's Skiff is worth a try, I remember it as a oriental forward blend with fair latakia, but correct me if I'm wrong :puffy:

kaboom

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 12, 2012
According to my admittedly inexperienced taste buds, there's more than a pinch of Latakia in SG's Skiff Mixture...

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Yenidje Highlander would fit that bill perfectly. It's one of my favorites.
Any of the others from the grand orientals line from McClelland would also fit that bill.
My second choice would be some of the Frog Morton's.

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
Despite its name, McClelland's Rose of Latakia uses the Syrian latakia as a background note. Here's the description:
Rose of Latakia" refers to the leaves harvested higher on the plant which are then fire cured. If you're looking for a blend in which Syrian Latakia is in the forefront, this isn't for you, but if you want to see what the Syrian leaf can do as a condiment, Rose of Latakia is terrific. If you approach it the way you might if you're smoking a Virginia blend, you'll get the best results. There's sweetness from the Virginias, a mellow spice from the Orientals, and the delicate, winey, smoky flavor supporting the rest of the blend.

pipesinperu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 21, 2014
Oh man, more great suggestions.
@fitzy, the YH is going to be in my next order for sure. Looking to try more of the Grand Orientals, so that answers my question as to which one.
@edgreen, that's why I love this forum. Based on the description for Rose of Latakia on SPC, I would have never tried the blend, but the one you give sounds exactly like what I'm looking for.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
Pipeworks and Wilkes # 10
WILKE No. 10

An exotic range of orientals are blended in perfect harmony with lemon Virginia and Latakia. A mild to medium English blend that can be smoked all day.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
So far Dublin I think out of the grand orientals line Yenidje highlander is my favorite.

pipesinperu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 21, 2014
Just wanted to report back and say that McConnell's Oriental was a great suggestion, so thanks to those who mentioned it. Low lat, just enough, and lots of spice and musty oriental leaf. Just what I was looking for. Now I'm looking forward to trying out some of the others.

carbonmated

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 5, 2015
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipe-tobacco/68265/mcclelland-grand-orientals-drama-reserve/
This might appeal to you as well, an oriental forward Virginia blend

Status
Not open for further replies.