PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alialansari

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 2, 2015
Hidd, Bahrain.
Greetings,
When I first picked up the pipe, I smoked English blends such as Dunhill's EMP, Standard Mixture, or London Mixture. I never was a fan of aromatics with which that most novices begin. A while later I was introduced to Virginia blends, about which I was reluctant at first, but which quickly grew on me to the point of becoming the only type of blend I smoked. However, after many a scorching tongue bite and the monotony of a single varietal, I thought of returning to English-styled mixtures for the sake of a cooler and more wholesome smoke. Much to my surprise and dismay, I now find myself unable to handle the Latakia present in roughly all English tobaccos. It seems to trigger an unpleasant sensation of nausea and an ache to the head. In response to the latter, I began an online search for Oriental or English blends that contain none of the aforementioned leaf. In essence, a blend of Virginias and Orientals. However, I was met with different results that were anything but conclusive. It seems that anytime a blend with a potential rightful claim to the above criteria surfaces, a person leaps to with a statement to the contrary. Such would be the case, for instance, with the Presbyterian mixture or McClelland's Arcadia. As such, I request your knowledge regarding this subject and would hope for your personal suggestions of such blends.
Thank you in advance for your input.
Kindest regards.

Ali

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
McClellands Grand Oriental series might be up your alley. Also GLP Regents Flake and Temple Bar.
Also GLP Chelsea Moring is very light in the Lat department.

alialansari

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 2, 2015
Hidd, Bahrain.
Hello Jefff, thank you for your suggestions. I had better mention that I am not too keen on Perique as well, which is to be found in both Regents Flake and Temple Bar. I will however give the Grand Orientals a shot. I have been eager to do so in a while. Any personal favourites from the series?

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
Yeah. The problem is that Latakia is an Oriental tobacco, so some blenders say Oriental and we think one thing while he is thinking Latakia. For me, McClelland #24 and bulk 2020 are wonderful. I personally don't think Latakia is in Arcadia in any amount that makes it stand out at least.Sam Gawith Sam's Flake is one to try as well.
Mike S.

jaygreen55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2015
Try Pipeworks and wilke Gotham Court which Carole describes as follows:
GOTHAM COURT

A spicy aroma along with a subtle Oriental flavor. Orientals, other than Latakia, in a rich Virginia base along with two Cavendish tobaccos make up this special blend. Lightly aromatic!
You can also try this from Mclelland. A little cheaper at smokingpipes.com
McClelland: 2050 - Oriental Cavendish

Product Number: 005-002-0020

This is an unusual mixture from McClelland because it contains no Latakia, yet still has the round, rich flavor one would expect from this style of tobacco. Liberal quantities of Orientals and a special Virginia Cavendish made with Eastern Belt Carolina leaf combine with Black Cavendish to make this a tobacco that will satisfy a great variety of tastes.

allthebass

Might Stick Around
May 7, 2017
Bettendorf, IA
As others have said the McClellands Grand Oriental series is enjoyable to smoke thru. I wish I had kept notes back when I smoked them but I think there was only one of the series I didn't care for. My favorites were Symrna or Drama Reserve if I recall....actually my favorite is Yenidje Highlander but that is a Latakia blend.
Tobaccoreviews.com says that the blenders catalog stated in 2008 that Presbyterian Mixture contained Latakia. Honestly I haven't smoked it in almost 10yeaers and my memory isn't that great of that particular blend other than I really liked it. I do have a few tins I will eventually get to.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Yenidje Highlander really didn't have a whole lot of Latakia in it, and sadly it was discontinued.

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
Nearly the same thing happened to me... In fact, I sold off the rest of my English blends today--- on this site!
It's frustrating because I enjoy the flavor, but lately, I get nauseous and my lungs feel funky and tongue tastes rancid after smoking Latakia.
I find that I do like and can tolerate va/burley blends with a bit of Dubek in them...
Peretti's #52 is a good one.
I also found I could still tolerate/smoke Ruins of Isengaard from Just4him... it's an English aro...

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
It's Latakia burnout. I can't smoke heavy handed lat blends anymore, and prefer blends that have Latakia far in the background.

josephcross

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
I love Latakia but smoke it mostly when my buds are starting to get fatigued from virginias. Then I usually take a few days off.

Yenidje Highlander really didn't have a whole lot of Latakia in it, and sadly it was discontinued.

I'm glad I scored a tin of Yenidje Highlander, I think it was one of the last at SP.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
Try Presbyterian mixture, if it has any Latakia in it, its undetectable to me. All I taste in Presbyterian is a variety of Orientals and Virginia leaf.

allthebass

Might Stick Around
May 7, 2017
Bettendorf, IA
It's Latakia burnout. I can't smoke heavy handed lat blends anymore, and prefer blends that have Latakia far in the background.

Same here. I used to love heavy Latikia blends but then the heavy Latakia blends seemed to dry my mouth out and seem monochromatic. I'm really enjoying more of the McClelland English blends more these days because their Virginias always seem to be more upfront. I still love Latakia but Squadron Leader is replacing heavy Lat blends like Abingdon or Odyssey.

alialansari

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 2, 2015
Hidd, Bahrain.
Try Presbyterian mixture, if it has any Latakia in it, its undetectable to me. All I taste in Presbyterian is a variety of Orientals and Virginia leaf.
The reviewers on tobaccoreviews.com seem to be of two opinions as regards Presbyterian. Some swear it has Latakia while others don't. It would be great to know for sure who's right about it.

Jun 27, 2016
VA/non-Latakia Oriental combos can be really good! Here is what I have found, keeping in mind that you mentioned that you seem to want to stay away from aros. I don't really look for them either.
I smoked 2050 Oriental Cavendish for a while, back when I first started piping, and I'd bet the house on it having some sort of flavoring on it. I started noticing a weird aftertaste and it eventually started to gross me out. I don't like Unflavored Black Cavendish either, but this was more than that, so maybe it has Flavored Black Cavendish in there. Try it for yourself, but I wouldn't be surprised if you move on from it quickly.
Embarcadero might be a better choice with its VAs and Izmir.
Drama Reserve is also a good VA/Drama blend. I liked it more than the #24 VA/Drama flake, but 24 might be worth a look for you if you want more of a VA-forward taste and possibly no added flavoring.
I think that at least some of the Grand Orientals might have some light flavoring on them. I think that Drama Reserve might have a mild mocha type flavoring on the red VA ribbons. since I'm not really sure what pure Drama leaf tastes like, this is just a guess. I've mentioned it on here before, and no one said much one way or the other, and if it's there, it does not bother me and I really enjoy smoking it anyway. Classic Samsun and Yenice Agonya were also somewhat 'suspect' as I was getting bbq and coconut-type odors/flavors respectively. The Yenidje Supreme, Smyrna #1 and Katerini Classic seemed not to have flavorings on them, nor did the Highlander. There is also one other, which I did not try, called Black Sea Sokhoum. I've also enjoyed mixing up my own with Mark Ryans Blenders Bench Orientals. McClelland also sells an Oriental blending tin, although I'm not sure what's in it, as well as bulk VA/Turkish ribbon. C&D sells what I think is straight Izmir also. It's not bad, but the D&R Blenders Bench Izmir is better. You also might like Stokkebye PS-84 bulk Turkish Export, which might also be sold as Newminster 84 Turkish, or something like that. This is one of the ones that people like to vilfy because it is "dual purpose" tobacco. So what? The PS-84 is good quality leaf and cut nicely. The PS-84 is a shaggy VA and Oriental blend. It might have a very mild topping on the VA leaf, but it's like the Drama Reserve to me where if it is there, it doesn't bother me and is not really noticeable. :puffy:

Jun 27, 2016
I was reading on TR that someone says that the Newminster 84 Oriental is much different than the Stokkebye 84 Turkish, sorry for any confusion. Try them both maybe!

exterminatewho

Might Stick Around
Apr 15, 2017
After doing some research I found a few tobacco blends you could try.
Rattrays Highland Targe

Robert McConnell's Oriental

C&D Oriental Silk

Peretti's No. 40 and Tashkent

C&D Or Olam
There were some more, but I'm too lazy to find them again. Hope this helps. Also, I don't know if all of these are still on the market or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.