Opinions On Ashton Consummate Gentleman?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I smoked my first bowl of this so not enough to review or have a strong opinion but my first impression is it's delicious and also that the flavor profile of something English is much broader then amount of Latakia and broad then my first impression. Just curious what other people think of this one.

Reactions: danimalia

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
It's an amazing Oriental. I haven't compared them side by side but I suspect it's similar, if not identical, to McConnell's Oriental Mixture.

Reactions: anotherbob

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I looked at the description at an online retailer. It's very mild and the whole series is aromatic. Just right for some, but maybe not me.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

charf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 10, 2018
New Zealand
Consummate Gentleman was the first English blend I tried and I still like it. I would say it is pretty light compared to Artisans Blend that was mentioned by others in this thread.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
Hmm, if the latakia in Consumate Gentleman is really just a pinch, I'm interested in trying it.
it's weird cause the tin smell is heavier on Latakia. It smells like bacon. There are more black shreds of tobacco then a light latakia has. However when you smoke it the flavor is more orientals and the higher latakia content is there to compete with the oriental tobaccos and it doesn't club you over the head.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
It’s good! I like this category of Latakia-light Englishes, with a sour profile to the orientals. So far I have found this blend, Presbyterian, John Cotton #1, Red Raparee, McConnell Original Oriental, and perhaps Orcilla Mixture. Best with a lager on a hot day.

I don’t know if I could tell half of these apart on a blind taste test, but I like them all.

• Love

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
It’s good! I like this category of Latakia-light Englishes, with a sour profile to the orientals. So far I have found this blend, Presbyterian, John Cotton #1, Red Raparee, McConnell Original Oriental, and perhaps Orcilla Mixture. Best with a lager on a hot day.

I don’t know if I could tell half of these apart on a blind taste test, but I like them all.
it is kinda similar to the Presbyterian but also completely different too. Have not tried any of those others.

Reactions: Casual

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
I must be smoking a different Consummate Gentleman than you guys, one that has no orientals at all, but does have some Burley and a fair amount of sweet sauce. It's very smooth and easygoing, I like it with coffee.

Status
Not open for further replies.