Opinel or Alaskan Ulu Knives to Cut Plugs and Ropes?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

36 Fresh Estate Pipes
6 Fresh Castello Pipes
12 Fresh Ser Jacopo Pipes
12 Fresh Mark Tinsky Pipes
4 Fresh Scott Thile Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

btp79

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2018
Sugar Land, TX
Personally I'd say use the knife you are most comfortable with that you can use safely. The Ulu is a great knife and I use it almost exclusively when skinning deer and hogs, but I would and do use straight knives for cutting plug.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I've been using an Ulu from Alaskan Cutlery for 2 years and I'm very happy with how it slices plugs.
OG9eVle.jpg

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
When it comes to Opinel knives, the carbon steel version is way better than the stainless version. It takes a better edge and keeps that edge far longer than its shiny brother which just looks pretty.
Regards,
Jay.

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
Isn't all steel, carbon steel?
:) Steel being an alloy of carbon and steel, you might be right. The term is usually used in place of "high carbon steel". And actually stainless knife steel is high carbon steel, so you are doubly right. "Carbon steel" is a misnomer usually used to mean a simpler, non-stainless steel with no Chromium.
Most stainless knife steels will not take as fine an edge as "carbon steel" due to the formation of carbides with Chromium and Vanadium. They are harder to sharpen as well due to the same carbides. Carbides are like microscopic chunks of very hard material. They will give the stainless better wear resistance, but unless you are using diamond plates which will actually cut the carbides they will tear out as you refine the edge and you can only achieve an apex as small as the size of the carbides.
There are stainless' which have very fine carbides and thus you can get a fine edge but they are pricey. You still need better sharpening tools as carbides are so wear resistant.
12c27 as used in Opinels is a stainless which does not form appreciable carbides and sharpens easily to a fine edge. That is also helped along by the fact that it is a fine grained steel, but that's another factor.

armonts

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2018
France
Yes is very exactly.

And the 12c27 depends a lot on its manufacture and its temper, that of the Opinels is very good.

But their simple "carbon steel" is thinner and harder, while becoming more easily.

(The too carbonized steel would become brittle at a time, the thread would break with micro breaks ...)

64alex

May 10, 2016
Thanks everybody for the info suggestions. I am going for now ordering an Opinel n8 Carbon knife and I'll see how it will work. I think it will be fine with plugs. For the ropes it might work or not in which case I will go with an Alaskan Ulu or a cigar cutter.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Carbon steel is not dissimilar to crucible steel, much harder and finer grained hence its ability to take and hold a good edge.
When was the last time you saw stainless steel wood chisels? You wouldn't because it just doesn't take or keep a keen edge.
Regards,
Jay.

davek

Mar 20, 2014
I am very much a carbon steel fan. I wouldn't want to spend the money on PM steel, it has the micro-chipping problem armonts mentioned, and you can sharpen carbon steel on the bottom of a coffee cup :). I am a big fan of 12c27 as well though, it's the carbon steel of stainless'
Don't know if it could even used as a tool steel though. It's only about .6% carbon.
https://www.materials.sandvik/en/products/strip-steel/strip-products/knife-steel/knife-steel-knowledge/different-steel-types/powder-metallurgical-steels/
From the manufacturer so a little biased I am sure.

armonts

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2018
France
DavekI am a big fan of 12c27 as well though, it's the carbon steel of stainless'

Don't know if it could even used as a tool steel though. It's only about .6% carbon. :
"Opi stainless steel. is the modified Sandvik developed them renowned for its sharpness and ease of maintenance.Capable of undergoing the heat treatment that gives it its good toughness is called martensitic. It has a carbon content of at least 0.40%, which makes it possible to obtain a very satisfactory cutting edge without being sensitive to corrosion."
Say at Opi. himself

( just 0.40% !) :eek:

5star

Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
I have quite a few knives of various types. (Yes, I'm a 'knife knut' - but Knife Acquisition Disease was kicked a few years ago for the most part.) Any adequately sized + sharp knife should work just fine for cutting plug & rope baccy. I have an ulu around here somewhere,and at least a half dozen Opinels- but will likely just use one of the chef's knives from our kitchen. The main requirement is that it's sharp. Most home kitchens that I've visited don't have sharp knives.

Status
Not open for further replies.