PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dukdalf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2011
Hardly a day goes by here without an onion in the pan, but my favourite is this: take 5 pounds of onions and about two pounds of beef, preferably a cheaper cut. Dice the onions, fry them gently in butter until soft, add the diced beef, a bay leaf, two or three cloves, a decent sized piece of mace, lots of freshly ground white pepper and add water or stock until the onions are covered. Simmer very gently for at least three hours. Season with salt and some worcestershire-sauce and serve with floury potatoes. Tastes even better if you turn off the heat after a couple of hours and eat it the next day.

I don't know how to cook without onions. It is the start of everything we cook. This is why I keep a row of green onions and a row of vidalias in the garden at all times. And, I grow a whole bed of Spaniards and reds in the Spring and again in the Fall. My favorite is at the end of each season to cook a whole pot of French Onion soup served over homemade French bread and topped with our home grown goat cheese. Especially in the Fall when it starts to get colder. Mmmm...

Garlic is another favorite of ours. But, it's harder to keep growing here, but a few dozen heads of garlic on the grill in the summertime doesn't last long here, especially when we cook minted lamb.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Hunter: Try this one next time you've got the grill going. Thick slice a sweet onion, slather it in peanut butter,wrap in foil and toss on the coals. When it feels a bit soft, unwrap and enjoy. It's not really peanut oil frying but, then again, it is.
Tip" This is a great way to do franks for a change of pace.

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
one more griller.
slice a big onion into thick quarters, make a boat with aluminum foil and place the quarters in the foil like a ball...place a spoon of real butter in between the slabs, lather the whole onion up in hot sauce and complete the wrap up...place on the grill.
you'll {almost} slap yo' mama.

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
I love the onion flavor. However, I do not like the texture. I've tried many ways. Caramelized, baked, raw; I've tried onion rings, bloomers, etc.. just not for me.
However, I do like onions when minced (even diced are too large). I will occasionally buy an onion, pop it in a blender, puree it, and jar it in a mason jar in the fridge for all of my cooking.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
"I tried chopping an onion real fine and mixing it in with my Balkan Sobranie. Didn't do much for the flavor. "
Did you saute the onions first? That ruins the aroma.

Status
Not open for further replies.