PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

foolwiththefez

Can't Leave
Sep 22, 2015
Sunny FL
Why is it that all the beginner guides I read recommend against corncobs? I'll maintain that a MM corncob is the perfect starter pipe. Hell, half the time I light mine up I want to remove the qualifier from that phrase.

sjfine

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 4, 2012
Neat piece. Entertaining and not too far off the mark.

blackmouth

Lurker
Feb 2, 2016
About equal parts "entertainment" and "educational". Not bad if taken with a grain of salt. Thanks for sharing.

averagegent

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 22, 2016
I have come across that before, but every time I rediscover it, the laughing starts all over again!

Ha, and it goes to further my suspicions that anti-hipster propaganda is all started and controlled by hipsters who want us to all to hate them. I know, I know, it doesn't make sense at first. It's just as stupid as Al Qaeda wanting us to hate them. ...along those same lines anyways. Otherwise, we all wouldn't give a rat's ass about them.
But yeh, corn cobs, ha ha ha! :wink:

Mar 1, 2014
This sounds like something written by someone who hasn't smoked a pipe very long, and it's actually quite pretentious. The article is filled with regurgitated common opinion on top of personal preference. Not that I can blame him, if I were to attempt something similar you'd read a lot of words about how great Ennerdale is.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
A lot of contemporary writing seems strained/snarky, and this is no exception. The advice seems generally useful/solid, but I agree, who are these people who diss the cob. Makes no sense and makes me question most everything they say. This is funny, and aimed at someone like me:
"Not every pipe-man carries a combative attitude, let’s be clear, but plenty seem to have forum avatars of an eagle or The Declaration of Independence, and they sign every post with a quotation about blood and trees and liberty or some shit. Listen to the friendly kinds of help on the boards and let the others go back to weaving fishing lures and hating our black president."
Actually some very sound advice. BTW, I love the Rainbow Flag sticker on his Subaru.

foolwiththefez

Can't Leave
Sep 22, 2015
Sunny FL
This sounds like something written by someone who hasn't smoked a pipe very long, and it's actually quite pretentious
I agree with this. It seems like his "aro hate" is what he expects the cool kids to want to hear.

lifesizehobbit

Oct 23, 2015
Too funny.
But hey, I ride a Vespa to work in the non-freezing weather months. The savings on gas lets me afford pipes (about 90 mpg on my 150cc 4-stroke). Pipe snobs...what are you gonna do? :D

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
... and I strongly recommend you don’t buy a five dollar corn cob pipe (though they can make for a good smoke).
I strongly agree with this as well ... it must be a Missouri Meerschaum and you should spend at least $8.75! :mrgreen:

Mar 1, 2014
Better yet, buy ten Cobs at $3.39 each in a Grab Bag and you have a full rotation for the same price as one regular pipe.
(And if one mush have Briar I can't think of anything better than the Briarworks Classic line.)

skraps

Sep 9, 2015
LOL, the comments here are priceless, some of them just confirming what he wrote.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
Refreshing! Although if you have an actual tobacconist that isn't just a glorified head shop clerk, lazy ass is not a term I would use to describe them.

Status
Not open for further replies.