PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
Look at this photo.... http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/newly-acquired-pipes-updated-often

You can't put your pipes in your will... well, I guess you can if your crazy. It's always been on my

mind just what will happen to my collection when I go. This isn't something we spend much time thinking

about, but it must be addressed at some point. It's really upsetting to me that someone put this fellows

pipes in zip-loc bags and sold them in bulk. (I wonder if they were thinking about how much they weighed).
I have spent hours talking to my oldest son and wife. But it still bothers me.... Have you thought about

it? There are plenty of other things I collect... Guns, Zippo's, other things I won't mention, but I'm sure

they will go fine because I have family members that appreciate them and will take care of them. But I am

the only pipe smoker in my family still living.......

assaad

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2011
If no one in your family smokes a pipe, perhaps you might think about having a family member set up an ad to give away pipes to young people in need who can apply to receive a random pipe as a gift to have a good start in the hobby?
I think about it as well, although I'm still very young and mostly think about how I will brainwash a child into smoking. :D

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I figure I'll concern myself with the now and the after is up to others to figure out. It won't matter then. After all is said and done, it's just stuff.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
You can will your pipes to anyone you want, but it's up to the executor of the will to make it happen, so make that person someone you can rely on in a business sense vs. someone you love (sometimes the two are completely different things). You also have to make sure the person you will them to wants them, and that may not be someone in your family. The executor has to be faithful to do their job and the person you will them to has to be willing to fight about it if he/she doesn't. Otherwise your states probate laws will simply apply whenever you die and it will go to whomever is next in line.
Just a bit from a Funeral Director.

sixmp

Can't Leave
Jan 19, 2012
You could always leave pipes to a local club or a certain pipe magazine/forum or to members.

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
I guess I've been misunderstood somewhat.... As some of you may know, a good

portion of my pipes are museum quality and I've taken steps to be sure they are taken

care of.... What I was trying to stir up here was if "You" have thought about it.....

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Not really. If my wife is alive then she can do as she pleases with them. They are just material things to me. If she is dead before me, then I really don't care at all because everything that matters to me will already be gone when I'm dead. If I had some museaum quality pipes, maybe I would give them to a museum if I suspected I wouldn't be long for the world.

mick

Can't Leave
Aug 13, 2012
After all is said and done, it's just stuff
I've had to restart my life so many times, this is my basic feeling about stuff. :|
If you're (or anyone is) really worried about where your stuff goes, leave instructions with someone you trust as to what to do with your pipes.
I haven't really thought about my legacy, so to speak, perhaps because I'm still relatively young and my kid(s) (

sixmp

Can't Leave
Jan 19, 2012
baronsamedi pretty much sums up my feelings on it. Although i do own some nice guitar equipment i would like to see those things go to a good home.As for my pipes i am still getting started with the whole thing and i am yet to get an emotional attachment to one.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
To most pipe smoking is not a hobby but is seen as an addiction. Most probably don't know that pipes can be restored and have value used. I guess I'm with Papipeguy, "It's just stuff." Maybe if this concerns you a will might be in order.

frtimmyd

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 13, 2011
TopD, I'll admit that I've thought about it. Probably goes back to the fact that my grandfather was a pipe smoker. I was only about 11 when he died and I had (obviously) no idea that I would one day grow up and love pipes myself. If I did I would have begged someone to hold on to his pipes for me. :D
I have hopes that my girls will one day marry a guy who wants to smoke a pipe. I'd willingly give them my briar buddies. But maybe I'll just "will" them to some future young priest. That and a bottle of scotch with a note that says, "Here. You'll need these for your first Vestry meeting. I know I did." :lol:

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
My sons know that my pipes are valuable and that there are ways to make money from them if they do not turn out to be pipe smokers. I will leave instructions with my estate attorney as to how they are to be liquidated. Thanks for starting this thread, I will be contacting my attorney and put something in my will addressing this.

riptide

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 27, 2010
Colorado
I never thought about it. I am the only pipe smoker in my family so I guess they can sell them off if they like.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
It always saddens me to see someone's loved things discarded with no regard. I once found a wallet a guy made with his initials, service unit and dates and the carved insignia in a bin at a Goodwill: broke my heart. So that wallet is now in my care, gently tucked away to be admired and wondered over on occasion as I take breaks in my little workshop.

maduroman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 15, 2010
one of my cobs and some tobacco goes in the box with me, my son has asked gor one of my pipes along with my oldest daughter and the rest get handed out to who ever will smoke and love them...

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Pipes that are sentimental to me might be buried or cremated with me if that's allowed. But I will trust family and friends to hold onto these items in remembrance of me. Maybe a picture of me smoking the pipe and put in a very nice frame/shadowbox.
But other than pipes I feel are more valuable to me that their monetary value. All others can be smoked, sold, or given away.
I'm only 24... I'll live forever... so I'll think about this again a little further down the road. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.