PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipetrucker

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2010
Following the white rabbit
I often like to stay at the Days Inn in Fond Du Lac, WI because of the Coaches Corner located right next door. Coaches Corner is a Sports Bar type of place with really good food and great deals for those who chose to purchase a membership in the "Touchdown Club".
Members enjoy two-for-one drinks until 9:00PM when they go to three-for-one, as well as food specials. The membership is twenty dollars per year and you get a free sweatshirt with that.
I arrived at the Days Inn yesterday afternoon and when I looked over at Coaches Corner the lot was deserted. This struck me as strange so I walked over to see what was going on. A sign posted on the door informed me that they had gone out of business, and listed the other locations one could visit, all in other cities. I was quite depressed by this turn of events as it was my favorite place to go up here. The staff was friendly and fun, there was always a game on, and it had a great atmosphere. I was just there a week ago and there was no sign of them being about to close. The place was busy as usual then.
I came down the road and checked into a different hotel that has a restaurant with a bar across the street. The place is ok and somewhat sports oriented, but not nearly as much fun. Now I'll have to start scouting around to find a new regular hotel for my stays up here.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
That's really a bummer when that happens. I have experienced the same thing in downtown St. Pete in the last few years. One of my favorites that closed later opened in a new location a year later though. Maybe you'll get lucky and find a new favorite place there Mason.

ace57

Lifer
Jun 21, 2011
That is allways sad to hear when our state drops another one. :crying:

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
That's the kind of thing that will cause a fellow to curse Mason.

Kinda like anticipating that cold beer in the fridge when you get home only to find out your son drank it while you were gone.
Blue clouds form.

pipetrucker

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2010
Following the white rabbit
Thanks, gents. The smoking bans have had an impact on the taverns around here, but somehow I don't think that is what closed this place down. They always had a good crowd and business appeared to be very good. None of their other locations have closed either.
One local told me that was just a bad location and that every business that has opened in that spot has eventually closed down again. It is sort of tucked in behind a larger restaurant but it didn't seem to hurt them any. I have to wonder what is really behind the closing but may never know for sure.

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
Sorry to hear about that, Mason. I'm not sure how much the smoking ban effected it, but I'm sure it didn't help. The last time I was in Wisconsin (2006), you could still smoke pretty much everywhere. I remember how cool I thought it was to walk into a restaurant,and see ashtrays on the tables, sadly we haven't had that luxury in quite some time in GA.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Sorry your fave place closed up, Mason. Too often places that are part of chains close, it seems, because although they may do pretty good business, the profit margins aren't high enough for the folks at corporate HQ.

Status
Not open for further replies.