PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
Been working since I was 15, counting "real jobs".
Have worked two jobs, and even 3 at times.
Some folks make a lot of money, some folks don't. Can't be mad at either one.
You have a pipe or two. Stop collecting them. Start buying tobacco. Buy it faster than you smoke it. Eventually, you will have a bit of a cellar going, and you will be on your way.

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
No mass transportation in your neck of the woods?
Nope. I live in like a 3 square mile town.
You have a pipe or two. Stop collecting them. Start buying tobacco. Buy it faster than you smoke it. Eventually, you will have a bit of a cellar going, and you will be on your way

I can stop buying pipes for now. I always want more, its how ive always been, but I can be happy with the pipes I have. I haven't finished a tin of baccy yet, though i have finished some otc pouches when I first started. I want to work on my cellar, I just need to get some money. I wont be back to work till next week or so due to schedule problems

hnryclay

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2012
There is always a way... Just keep at it and set reasonable goals. Most of the pipes I own were purchased for less than 50 dollars. The majority of them are from great makers, Sasiniei, GBD, Peterson, Savinelli etc etc, you just have to shop around. I have been collecting for 14 years, and when I was starving as a 18 year old I was not buying pipes, or anything else for that matter. You are young they will come, keep your head up!

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Great idea, Baskerville! I'd definitely pay someone in tobacco to shovel my drive!

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
The driveway shoveling thing is not off base at all. Sometimes you have to hustle until you can get something steady. In Texas it's lawn mowing. I have a friend who turned a gas can and a lawn mower into a lawn care business with 2 full crews.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
My friend,you got a roof over your head,I assume food in the fridge,and good health...YOU ARE BLESSED.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I wrote a book on how to teach yourself to read Tarot cards and it's only $10. In 2 weeks you can be making money if that's what you want to do. I also wrote one about homebrewing and bootlegging, but you know, that's illegal and stuff.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
ace57 is the voice of experience ... how often does it come down to a battle between desire and apathy?
uberamerica, is your plan to be a chef in a certain type of restaurant, or open your own?

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
I have always worked since about 15 . I have washed windows ,cleaned and painted houses etc etc. Anything for extra money . You have to go door to door and ask for work . You know so few young men are willing to do chores in this day and age . I always give them something to do and pay them more than what they are worth . The solution to any problem is to work harder . I am so happy you are going to school and wish you all the luck in the world . :D

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
I prefer to bake. The dream would be a cafe/bakery, but that would be quite sometime down the road. before that I dont really care as long as Im cooking or baking and it isnt in a seafood restaurant. I hate seafood, no matter how much they were paying i couldnt deal with smelling like seafood all tthe time. happiness is worth more then money

aussielass

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 18, 2011
uber, almost every single post of yours I've read always revolves around $'s ... someone puts up a pipe for sale, "I wish .... but I don't have any money" .... it's like you can't make a post unless the word money is in there.
I left home and school on the same day when I was 15yo and moved into a house full of junkies/heroin addicts - best thing I ever did, because I quickly realised I did NOT want to be like them and so never did drugs (except a bit of green stuff, but quickly grew up and out of that BS too).
YOU are the only one who can pull yourself up by the bootstraps and make money for yourself, it ain't gonna fall out of the sky and people aren't going to simply give it to you. I hear you about living out the back of beyond in an isolated, godforsaken hell-hole with nothing within cooee, but there are always options.
HOWEVER, there are always old people who need a helping hand and only have pennies to pay for a kindness - that's double edged, you get a few bucks and a warm feeling in your heart that you did something to help someone, especially the old - they'll have the tools, ladders etc. you need to help them out. Crikeys, the price tobacco over there, it's not like you need a damn fortune, it only costs pennies (you pay $7 for what we pay $50 for!!!)!
Also, go to yard sales, auctions etc - pick up old junk (with the money you've earned from odd jobs) and buy crap - polish it up, fix it, give it a lick of paint and sell it for a modest profit - soon enough you'll have enough capital to buy baccy and more junk to support your habit, and that's all it is, a habit - no-one forced you to smoke a pipe so stop being so down in the mouth that you don't have enough, do something assertive about it!
eBay, people go crazy over anything old, vintage, antique, from zippos to padlocks to egg-whisks to cowboy boots (I used to buy cowboy boots in USA for around $15 a pair second hand and would often get $150 plus here).
Also your "thrift shops" over there are incredible - heaps of things be bought for a song and sold for a lot more ... many, many 1,000's of women do this full-time & re-sell on ebay. I went to USA Thrift stores for 10 days, spent $5k on kid's clothing, bought it back here & sold it for around $35k in my store.
Up here's for thinkin', down there's for dancin'!

theray

Lurker
Dec 7, 2011
Keep your head up! Buy some cobs! When you do smoke meditate on the positive! Borrow some uplifting books from the library! Smoking is such a meditative activity, it can change your world, but hard work is required as well! Pm me and I will see what I can do to help. Remember to sow seeds of kindness and generosity, they will return to you!

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Good thoughts from Aussielass, friend Uber. And might I suggest this is a good time, when you have some money, to explore the American Classics, aka codger burleys? You can get a lot of 'baccy for $5.

aussielass

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 18, 2011
I used to give to everyone until I had nothing left to give, UNTIL I heard the saying ....
"Give a man fish, and he'll eat for a day ...
Give a man a fishing rod and teach him how to fish, he and his family will eat forever".
How very true that saying is .... people rarely appreciate anything that they didn't have to earn themselves - I know that only too well from first hand experience, I created a monster narccisist daughter trying to compensate by giving her everything I never had.
I've made 59 loans through Kiva.com, a microfinancee not for profit organisation that lends money to 3rd world people struggling to get ahead in their tiny businesses. I haven't lost a penny, had a single default but I've sure helped to give 59 people fishing rods so they can fish for life, and I'll keep doing it until my last breath.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I have been blessed with at least 15 years without unemployment. Now, my job, mortgage underwriting, has unlimited work, also going to be treasurer of my church, (volunteer), taking another class for my MBA, continuing my woodturning side business, and raising two teens with my beautiful wife. I still find time to do other things I enjoy. Even do the 70 miles of daily commute. It is all about priorities.
But the danger of giving a list like this is the next guy will honestly tell you that if that is all he did, he would feel he was on vacation. NEVER complain about long hours to someone who is self-employed.
Winton

Status
Not open for further replies.