PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hmhaines

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 5, 2016
CT
Local cigar shop is finally getting a pipe night together. I've got my newbie opinions, but I'd like suggestions from some long-time pipers, especially if you also love cigars.
What one blend do you think would be a good first smoke for a cigar guy?
If you're able to offer specific blends for specific types of cigar smokers, that'd be awesome!
Thanks, guys!

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I'd go with English blends, cigars and pipes are two different world's, There's no point in trying to recreate a cigar experience in a pipe, as you'll just continue smoking cigars when it didsapoints you

mackeson

Mar 29, 2016
I'm probably in the minority but I would NOT recommend a cigar leaf blend. It's such a different thing in a pipe. I'd recommend a full flavored and sweet lat blend like Black Mallory or Plum Pudding.

mackeson

Mar 29, 2016
Andy,

looks like we were typing at the same time and great minds think alike

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
cigars and pipes are two different world's, There's no point in trying to recreate a cigar experience in a pipe
@andy is correct, Id recommend C&D Blockade Runner or Baileys Front Porch

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
I'd recommend two from Sam Gawith, Brown #4 and Skiff Mix. #4 is a rope with a cigar leaf binder. It's pretty strong and the preparation should impress your buddy's and underscore how different pipe tobacco can be from what they may expect. Skiff is a great blend because it shares some flavors in common with cigars but goes takes it further in to a realm that is not available in cigar leaf, it's also an easy format to work with.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
MCCELLENS Dominican Glory or Dominican Glory Maduro, if you're a Cigar smoker you will like this, friend of mine who is a big time cigar smoker sent me some of both, didn't like it but mixed it with some Nitecap and it was bearable.

bostoneo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 22, 2016
Akron, OH
Vincent Manil La Brumeuse.

pt-sza0100.png

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
In general, Burley is much more like Cigar leaf than Virginia is.
Blends like C&D Big N' Burley or one of the strong rope/twists like SG Brown #4 mentioned above would work well.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
C&D Billy Budd or their cigar leaf blending tobacco that can be smoke as-is or added to other leaf or blends.

dkaye201

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 13, 2016
Having been an avid cigar smoker for over 20 years, my first choice, and the blend that rekindled my love of pipe smoking was Royal Yacht. You might consider it. It is still the only aro I smoke. English blends are also a fine choice. Virginias may cause too much bite for a newbie, and could swear them off of pipes forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.