PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

homewaters

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 16, 2014
4noggins bulk Bread Loaf is an excellent blend that has been flying under the radar, it has cigar leaf.

jaygreen55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2015
Pipeworks/Wilke Wilke churchill. Here is carole's description
WILKE CHURCHILL

Mr. Churchill fancied his cigar. I believe he would have been pleased with the liberal amount of cigar leaf that is added the Virginias, Burley, Latakia and Perique that makes up this traditional English mixture. A robust tobacco and a special treat.
http://vtpipes.com/tobacco.html

pipinho

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2013
To me cigar leaf tastes totally different in a pipe than in cigar form. That being said, i think dark fired kentucky gives the closest flavor profile to a cigar in briar.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
Despite the recommendations against cigar leaf in pipe tobacco, I find H&H Virginia Spice to be nice when I want a cigar but would prefer the tactile feel of the pipe. It's a great tobacco and the maduro leaf really just increases the mouthfeel and gives a more cigar like smoke. It's heavy and satisfying and reminds me of a good cigar, while not totally emulating a cigar. Just my two cents.

I think that what blows the minds of cigar to pipe transition guys, is that there is a whole world of tobacco flavors that they have barely ever even touched by sticking to cigars. Cigar snobs tend to prefer a taste range that is kept close to the Cuban examples of fermented burley. This means that almost every cigar (without flavorings) in a cigar shop only varies a degree or two in taste from the Connecticut to Maduro. But, when you turn to pipes, and add in Virginias, Dark Fired KY, Latakia, perique, they have to open their minds. It's like going from only seeing the color blue to seeing every color of the rainbow. Some of them can't handle it, because they've dug themselves into the cigar snob hole for flavor.
My suggestion to cigar guys is to open their minds to what tobacco can taste like, and try them all swim in the varieties. There is no Cuban altar to false gods in the pipe world. You are free to like anything. In a cigar, most of the flavor comes from the lips touching the wrap. If they are stuck in the mind numbingly stupid idea of Cubans being the pinnacle of flavor, then, just drop the idea. They'd never enjoy the pipe.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Cosmic points to the philosophical dimension of the pipe versus cigar experience. Cigar leaf can impart a little of that cigar flavor to a packed pipe, but cigars are an engineered smoke, crafted to smoke a certain way with given combinations of leaf. Very tasty but not the much more various experience of a pipe. With pipes, you have hundreds of blends, but moreover the freedom to mix in other blends or single leaves, and pack them differently, dry them to different extents, and smoke them in your own style. Moving from cigar to pipe can bring along a cigar leaf or not. For the occasional smoker, a cigar is a readymade experience, likely to go pretty well. A pipe requires some practice and an evolution of skills and experiences with blends. There are highly refined and experienced cigar smokers, indeed, but the pipe takes that potential to a higher level.

rodbuster3

Might Stick Around
Nov 10, 2016
As a cigar smoker i kind of disagree that there are not hundreds of different flavor profile from the different leaf, combination of leaf,style of ageing drying, area where the tobacco was grown etc. In cigar smoking. But i do agree that the pipe brings thousands of completely different options. What i like most is you play a greater part in the enjoyment. You can blend your own styles how you pack light etc. To answer your question i think it needs to be more individual i hate flavored cigars but like aros so for a person like that a aro might do better maybe black ambrosia. I started with Va/Per and what got me into pipes was the hundres of new tobacco flavors that were different from cigars maybe Mac 2015 i think whats most important is you coach them i think sour,hot smokes will turn them away before they ever get started

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I was a cigar smoker before I took up smoking a pipe. Initially it was to placate the girls in my college classes who complained about the stench of a cigar. Later I went back to cigars, and then back to the pipe in the 90s when yuppies or hipsters or whatever the hell they were decided to make cigar smoking "a hobby" and drove the price of a decent stogie sky-high. If I wanted the taste of a cigar I would smoke a cigar. If for some inane, unfathomable reason I wanted cigar taste in a pipe, I'd probably just chop up a cigar.
So my advice for cigar smokers is if you want to smoke a pipe, smoke pipe tobacco and savor the difference. The only other advice I can offer is 1)cheap drugstore pipe tobacco is the equivalent of El Producto cigars, although cigar "hobbyists" never elevated those to cult status; 2)dry pipe tobacco is as lousy a smoke as a dry cigar, and manufacturers of pipe tobacco who ship their products wetter or dryer than optimum are as incompetent as cigar manufacturers who do so; 3)If you puff as hard on a pipe like you probably do a cigar, expect a burned tongue and little taste.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
This has already been suggested, without making a point of it. Maybe a good way to introduce a cigar smoker to a pipe is by recommending pipe tobaccos that aren't cigar-like at all. I suppose, it's good to talk to the perspective pipe smoker and see if he likes mild, medium, or strong, and then suggest two or three examples in that ballpark, like a Virginia or Va/Per, an English, and an aro, and let them go with those ideas, and let them land where they will. Let it be an entirely different experience, and if they want to seek cigar leaf for their pipe themselves, so be it.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
After thinking this over, Peterson's Perfect Plug is my answer. It is rich like a cigar, with enough idiosyncrasy and depth to tempt an experience palate.

curl

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 29, 2014
I would quiz my cigar smoking buddy about if he prefers mild or strong cigars.

His answer would tell me which of the Dunhill English blends he should try.

Status
Not open for further replies.