PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aro222

Can't Leave
Mar 17, 2018
Toronto Ontario, Canada
Ok gentleman I know that this has been discussed many times over, however I haven’t seen this topic come up in a while.

What is your favorite aromatic ? The one that you wouldn’t ever want to run out of. The one that you crave while in a meeting at work. The one that every now and than, the faintest whiff of it can magically transport you to a simpler time, the one aromatic to rule them all. Perhaps choosing is the hardest part of that question. While I ponder this...what do you guys think ?

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
One aromatic to rule them all
Well, you pretty much made my mind run to it with that line. Right now, it's Old Toby from the Country Squire. So yes, it was the potentially unintentional Lord of the Rings reference that got me. Yes it's cased with sugar, but dammit, it's one tasty aromatic. I bought 4 ounces of the stuff and I'm running through it faster than anything else, since I'm smoking it all the other times of the day, until I get home and have that before bed latakia kick.
Edit: Thank you Anthony, you're the reason I'm addicted to Old Toby now......

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
The only two straight aromatics I have in my cellar are Cult Blood Red Moon and Sutliff Molto Dolce. I don't smoke them that often, but when I am in the mood for something really sweet, these provide a nice change of pace for me.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
grape.jpg

jay-roger.jpg

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
I haven't found it yet :mrgreen: There are a few that I smoke occasionally, but I haven't got an aromatic for that occasion that I'm stranded on that island often spoke of here....

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Haven't found it either. I enjoy all the ones I've bought. It's like you asking what's my favourite camera lens or lens type: it's impossible to pick one: they all have their place.

rdavid

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
Geeezzz Jay... Thanks a lot.
I just whiffed the last of a bowl of Gaslight all over my keyboard... :rofl:

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I've avoided aro's, though some have crept in.
Some would technically call Black Frigate and other rum/navy styles aro's. I enjoy those.
I've been enjoying the LJ Peretti Thanksgiving Blend I opened 5 months ago and I have some Exotic Orange/Passion waiting to try.
Generally, though, I buy non-aro's.
jay-roger.jpg

EDIT: Glad to be of service, David... :mrgreen:

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
Right now it's a tossup between MacBaren Vanilla Cream and Hearth & Home Trout Stream

aro222

Can't Leave
Mar 17, 2018
Toronto Ontario, Canada
Your right it is difficult to narrow the list down to one

I really enjoy my aromatics and have tried so many that I’ve loved. At this point I can bring it down to the top three.

In no favorable order

Boswell’s chocolate cream

Cornell and Diehl mocha

Sutliff vanilla custard

But there are so many more which are fantastic

Lane bca

Boswell’s pipers pleasure

Sutliff molte dolce

Bobs chocolate flake

The list goes on and on and I’m so grateful that there is such a wonderful variety of tobaccos available to us for that exact mood or time of the day

This is such a great little hobby that we are involved in and I consider myself lucky to be a part of this community

Thanks boys

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
My two Aromatic blends of choice are Dan Tobacco Sweet Vanilla Honeydew and Sillem's Black.
The "One To Rule Them All" was McClelland Best In Show. I still have a jar in the cellar and that comes out when I'm smoking around company or in public around nonsmokers. It always gets compliments for the overt the top sweet smell. A real crowd favorite.
You mention Bob's Chocolate Flake above. I personally don't consider that an Aromatic. It is a favorite of mine, but I think it is very tobacco forward.

pipehunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2016
The two aromatic blends I really love are Frog Morton (original) and Troost Slices (tinned). Neither is strongly aromatic...maybe they are more of crossover blends? For most of the stronger aromatics, I find the tin notes and even room notes delightful but am not overly fond of the smoking experience.
Unfortunately, one isn't made anymore and the other isn't imported to the US. Although I know that every time someone brings it up there follows a chorus of "there will never be another McClelland," "Glad it's not me, I finished buying tobacco two years ago," etc, I still search for a substitute for these blends in the remote hope of finding something to fit the bill. I have quite a bit in the cellar, but not a lifetime supply....
PS: npod, agree on Sillems Black, a very fine blend.

Jan 8, 2013
Right now, it's Old Toby from the Country Squire.
Same here. And not just because of the Lord Of The Rings reference in the title of this thread. I tried this for the first time... around Thanksgiving I think, and I've been hooked on it like Balrog's whip on Gandalf's leg! It has nearly become my one solitary blend. If not for the fact that I just like variety, I'd be neglecting just about everything else. But even so, I'm smoking at least three bowls of Old Toby to any other blend.
Thank you Anthony, you're the reason I'm addicted to Old Toby now......
:mrgreen: You're welcome!
It does for me, after a long hard day, what it does for Radagast in this scene.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvvSAaDlrFU

techie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2018
I'm still too new to the pipe to have a best, and so far I've liked every one I have tried, some more than others, of course. Mac Baren Original Choice is a favoritem as well as Lane 1-Q. But I have too many unopened tins yet to try.

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
I'm not an aro guy, as a general rule, but I enjoy GL Pease's Virginia Cream fairly often (it's one of my few indoor-approved blends, so it gets a lot of smoking on rainy days), and to me the classic aromatic is Lane 1-Q.

aro222

Can't Leave
Mar 17, 2018
Toronto Ontario, Canada
I agree bobs is tobacco forward however I still pick up some sweetness of the chocolate way in the back so I tossed it in the mix anyway

I love the Lakeland’s and it’s in my rotation. Just something satisfying about it...

Status
Not open for further replies.