PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Started by searching tobacco reviews for blend type "VaPer" and then the flavors "fig", "plum", and "sweet". This got all of 2 results and both, while listed currently available, were a bit too obscure to try and track down for the moment. (They are: Middle Earth Tobacco - Gondor and Tabacum -800N.)

Played with turning the flavors off/on and still got the same results. Left all 3 flavors on, removed the blend type, and boom; more blends than I hoped for. Now what?

Well, using a ratio of rating/number of reviews, mostly ignoring aromatics, and high wizardry I came up with a list. Now if you kind folks would give a "yes you must try that one" or a "meh that one isn't really worth it" I'd appreciate the help. Also, I'm looking to satisfy a sweet tooth and avoid peppery spice if possible.

The list:

GH&C - Brown Cavendish
GH&C - Best Brown #2
GH&C - Kendal Toffee
GH&C - Sweet Plum Twist
Peterson - Royal Yacht
Peterson - University Flake
Solani - 333: Festival
Rattray - Black Virginia
Rattray - Sweet Fragrant
Rattray - Wallace Flake

2 that are shown as currently available but I can't find:

Samuel Gawith - Demerara Flake
Orlik - Richmond Navy Cut

Did I miss any?

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I recommend Hearth & Home Anniversary Kake. It’s on the sweet side, and the perique presents (at least to my palate) as more fruity and not peppery. Also, the tin description says a “chocolate and fig” aroma, and I can’t argue with it.

Reactions: mikefu
With Virginias and VaPers, the stewed fruit aroma usually just comes from the tin notes. Once the tobacco takes on flame, the aroma translates different in the taste of the smoke.

As a side note, Royal Yacht, Wallace Flake, and University Flakes have a plum casing, but the plum interacting with these particular tobacco flavors gives you a whole different smoke flavor also.

brooklynpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2018
I don't remember any plummy figgy note at all in Best Brown #2. A fine smoke, but for what you're looking for I gander it will disappoint.

Escudo just from the perique has always been plummy and figgy to me.

When the time comes, I would love to hear your opinion on the first two Rattrays you have listed.

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
Here's part of my review for Dark Fragrant, which I prefer to Black VA:
"it is a good, darkly stoved Virginia with a whisper of Perique that stands on its own. After a couple charring lights, it fires up and gives notes of raisins, dried figs, and a hint of dried tart cherries. It has a good tang to begin with that develops into a spicy, dark fruit rich sweetness by midpoint. It’s not overly complex, but it is delicious, easy to pack and smoke, completely free of bite, even when pushed, and burns down completely with little moisture. This isn’t a multi-faceted, complex smoke that changes with each puff, but rather a satisfying, easy to smoke blend that hits the right notes for a low effort smoke."

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I find Viprati less of a pepper bomb than many VaPers. The Former VaPer blends (Straight Grain, Cross Grain and Birdseye) are also sweeter than peppery. The new Watch City Rouxgaroux should fit you perfectly if you can score some. Next release around Thanksgiving.

Reactions: dcon

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
The Watch City Rouxgaroux being out of stock is what started this ordeal... ???

The first 3 GH&C don't seem to fit the bill and I will likely end up trying them at some point but not today. No one seems to carry the last GH&C so I'll forget about it for now.

The Rattray's Wallace Flake is out of stock everywhere I've looked so far and no one seems to carry the Sweet Fragrant (as opposed to the Dark Fragrant). I do have a couple tins of the Dark Fragrant so I might open one this weekend.

Mentioned above by others:

H&H Anniversary Kake - I have and enjoy this but nothing about it has said to me "get this in your cellar".
Escudo - I have a tin of this but haven't tried it yet.
Acadian Perique - I have a tin. I'll have to toss a coin as to open it or the Dark Fragrant this weekend. Maybe both if I have time.

So, now sitting in my basket is a tin each of both Peterson's, the Solani, and Rattray's Dark Virginia.

It's really nice to have such good options available. As always, you guys exceeded my expectations on input. Thank you.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
The Watch City Rouxgaroux being out of stock is what started this ordeal... ???

The first 3 GH&C don't seem to fit the bill and I will likely end up trying them at some point but not today. No one seems to carry the last GH&C so I'll forget about it for now.

The Rattray's Wallace Flake is out of stock everywhere I've looked so far and no one seems to carry the Sweet Fragrant (as opposed to the Dark Fragrant). I do have a couple tins of the Dark Fragrant so I might open one this weekend.

Mentioned above by others:

H&H Anniversary Kake - I have and enjoy this but nothing about it has said to me "get this in your cellar".
Escudo - I have a tin of this but haven't tried it yet.
Acadian Perique - I have a tin. I'll have to toss a coin as to open it or the Dark Fragrant this weekend. Maybe both if I have time.

So, now sitting in my basket is a tin each of both Peterson's, the Solani, and Rattray's Dark Virginia.

It's really nice to have such good options available. As always, you guys exceeded my expectations on input. Thank you.

Taste is subjective and unique to each individual but I don't see the resemblance to Rouxgaroux with any of those blends. Not saying those blends are good on their merits, just not similar to Rouxgaroux.

Reactions: shanez

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I thought immediately of Royal Yacht, but I don't think of that as sweet, just a bit plum tasting.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Royal Yacht, also known on Forums as Royal Yeeech, was at one time the punchline blend on Forums. When I admitted that I had long held an unopened tin, I was widely encouraged to open it and have a smoke. I expected something dreadful. Not at all, or not to me anyway. Despite it being said to be Stalin's favorite blend, which isn't much of a recommendation, it was at first quite interesting, and then pretty good. The tin was gone before I got it jarred. It's a tobacco forward aromatic, to me, with good base tobacco and nice balance. Not everyone's thing, but cleverly blended.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
Of those you listed That I know well I would agree with a university Flake, Solani 633 and Royal Yacht. I would agree with others in the Escudo and add Telegraph Hill.

Status
Not open for further replies.