PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Recent Posts

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gnatjulio

Preferred Member
Mar 22, 2012
I just picked up a few old tins of tobacco(Rattray's black mallory, 7 reserve medium, red rapparee, sam gawith's westmorland mixture and navy flake. All the cans hissed indicating a vacuume seal. The paper inside the tins however were brown and seemed to have absorbed a bunch of moisture from the tobacco and i noticed little white specks on the flake. I just want to know if these are okay to smoke and is there a shelf life to the tins that should concern me. and how would i know if mold had gotten into the tobacco (although i dont see how that is possible as the tins did hiss when opened?)

crpntr1

Preferred Member
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
I think its probably fine...go ahead and if it makes you gravely sick we'll all know not to try it..

grizzly86

Preferred Member
Apr 5, 2012
I could always take one for the team. You can send them to me and I'll smoke them. :nana:

grizzly86

Preferred Member
Apr 5, 2012
@gnatjulio If it does not smell moldy/mildewy it is most likely fine. I have read about this a few different places. Supposedly it is oils and sugars from the tobacco crystalizing.

rlunderhill

Jan 10, 2012
I place the tobacco on a sheet of plastic wrap and spread it all out for a good look see. You'll know if it's bad. If it's to dry you may need to re-hydrate it some. Then put it in Ball jars. It's amazing how long an unopened tin will last. I picked up some 8 year old tins and they were just fine.

gnatjulio

Preferred Member
Mar 22, 2012
Haha, thanks guys. Just wanted to double check. And the tins did have that healthy hiss to them.

spartan

Preferred Member
Aug 14, 2011
If the white specs look anything like these flakes of Penzance then you're in the zone.

Smoke that crystalized goodness.

Status
Not open for further replies.