PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
When I watch really old movies I like to pay attention to what life was like back in the days the movies were filmed.Cars,Roads Buildings,Attire were all different back then.Even many of the words folks used to describe things were different back then.The thing that has drawn my attention the most though is the attitude of respect potrayed towards pipe smokers in those movies.Personally I feel that those movies reflected the attitude of society in general in those days.We sure don't get the Respect these days that pipe smokers got back then.Just shows what big brothers media machine can accomplish if given enough time.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
This isn't a political post, just an observational one... that confirms what Puff has observed as well:
Glenn Beck mocking the intellectual elite, and "Granny" knowing what's going on, and being charitable.

"You can pay me back when you see me, Josey Wales."

glenn-beck-with-a-pipe.jpg

Granny.jpg

jaybird

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 26, 2011
Maybe it was the old Victarian/Edwardian-isms?
I don't know.
The movies from yesteryear were much better IMO. Last night I watched Sg. York. One of the best films ever and it had at least two cob pipe smokers to boot.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Ooooo! Good movie Jaybird...

I watched it not long ago and, really got into it.

Pipes were a natural thing in that movie as they are in many others.

I too have an affinity for "the old Victorian/Edwardian-ims" in old movies.

jaybird

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 26, 2011
Heck Lawrence, I still wear bow ties and shave with a single edge GEM razor from 1925!
Any other good oldies feel free to post them.

rafterman

Might Stick Around
Apr 19, 2011
"The Long Voyage Home" is a great picture by John Ford from 1940. Lots of pipe smoking!

clanobucklin

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 19, 2010
Any movie of Val Lewton producer! "Curse of the Cat People" shows the Dad loading up a pipe from his little pipe stand. I love watching old movies whether they have pipe smokers or not. Invairably, a lot of them do - seemed pipes indicated stable, supportive Dads back in the day. :)

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
This is a HUGE generality (so of course there will be exceptions) but it was very common in both London and in the north eastern U.S. for a young man to take up the pipe upon entering college. Up until the late 1960s, if you saw a man smoking a pipe, chances were good he went to college, hence its "elitist" image.
Unless he's smoking a cob, in which case he's a farmer.

creekspecter

Might Stick Around
May 25, 2011
I think that pipe smoking was once looked on as a sign of maturity and a certain level of stability. Dads on "Father Knows Best," or "My Three Sons" were pipe smokers, dispensing firm, but gentle justice and humorous, but apt wisdom to their families and communities. Maybe an over-simplification, but it's hard to imagine some of today's 40 and 50 year old, wearing their ball caps backwards, unable to remove the same when in a building, dressed in a Manu Giobli jersey, trying to talk up some of our kiddos from UT, smoking a pipe. (The girls find these guys amusing, pathetic, and easy touches for drinks until they blow them off.) I don't think I've heard of many rappers smoking tobacco pipes, either.
Still, this is about movies, hmm... The Quiet Man. Lots of great pipe smoking in that one, and one of the best John Wayne movies made.

bubblehead

Might Stick Around
May 26, 2011
This is a bit off topic since you're talking about old movies but, did anyone catch the latest incarnation of Moby Dick on Encore the past couple of nights? I really like the pipe Capt.Ahab (William Hurt) was smoking throughout. Wonder what brand of tobacco goes good with chasing white whales.

bambam

Can't Leave
Jun 22, 2011
Virginia
@ bubblehead Encore did a great job on Moby Dick!!!!! Capt. Ahabs pipe was cool. I would think 7 seas is an appropriate tobacco for whale chasin'.

clanobucklin

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 19, 2010
Philadelphia Story with Jimmy Stewart, Cary Grant and Katherine Hepburn. There is an amusing bit when Cary Grant's character shows up with a pipe (canadian?) and proceeds to blow smoke into a hung over Katherine Hepburns face the morning after her debauch with Jimmy Stewart much to her discomfort and irritation.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I love watching the old Humphrey Bogart movies. Maltese Falcon is a great movie. Bing Crosby has some good movies where he's smoking his pipe, like White Christmas. Nowadays all they're doing is remaking movies/t.v. shows from the 80's and it's getting pretty old pretty fast. I do love the new Holmes movies though with Downey Jr. and Jude Law. Some great clay pipe smoking in that first one they did. Can't wait for the second one to hit theaters in December. Oh how I've missed my favorite character, Gladstone.

Status
Not open for further replies.