PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
No, I'm not talking about the idea that Frank will get his Chipmunk behind bars and out the door before the advent of Summer, I'm talking about the realization of how few good new ideas are really out there!
Be it on television or on the cinema, there is little new stuff to attract me. The realization came to me as I reviewed news stories on Bing and the leading story was how there was going to be a one year delay of the release of Indiana Jones 5. The new release date is 2020, not sure why, but the movie unites Harrison Ford and Spielberg--- then it hit me, they've talked Ford into coming back to reprise his role in a movie that came out in what? The early '80's?
Not far from it was news of work on the next upcoming Star Wars movie. As good as they were, this is again just a spin off from a movie from the late '70's.
What is Hollywood going to do when they run out of comic books, old hit movies and very aging actors for their next big box office draw? Maybe get real jobs?

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

The frequency of well done television series have surpassed films. Game of Thrones, Shameless, Eastbound and Down, Versailles, Peaky Blinders, Rectify, Mozart in the Jungle, Westworld, Big Little Lies, The Man in the High Castle, Breaking Bad, Walking Dead, Stranger Things, Sneaky Pete, Crashing, etc...
I haven't watched everything out there, but I've watched these and probably a few I'm forgetting and have enjoyed them all. The ideas are fresh and I can binge watch them in a marathon movie style or one here and there over time. They're accessible, look great on my 50 inch, and sound great with my sound bar. I can't remember the last time I went to the movies because they are all made for kids, teenagers, and women. I have no interest in cartoons, comic books, bad horror films, or romantic comedies. I will probably still go see Cohen Brothers and Wes Anderson movies.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
I agree television has come a long way in recent years. I binged watched the first season of Legion and was thoroughly impressed. I'm in love with Aubrey Plaza now.
I think they will have to keep relying on good writers and re-telling of old tales for new audiences. The fact R.R. Martin got a show is amazing. There are still many good writers who remain untapped. I'm still waiting for Snorri Sturluson to get his time in the limelight. :)

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I'm a big fan of the CW's "The Flash" series even though John Wesley Shipp did a fine, if campy job with the role in the late '80s. Remakes and sequels seem to be most of the 2017 movie roster though.

Mar 1, 2014
It's amazing how people think that MCU movies are so pedestrian now.
This is the cinematic equivalent of NASA landing Man on the Moon, apparently people got bored of that too, but it's still an incredible feat.
Marvel is the first big thing since Star Wars to come close to having that level of popularity (both at home and globally).

There's 29 years between the release of Episode 4 and Iron Man (1977-2008), by that standard we'll be waiting until 2047 for something this good to come along again. Buckle up because we're probably going to be watching Avengers movies for a long, long, long long long time.
I can still remember the many conversations I had with friends 15 years ago "who will replace Schwarzenegger and Stalone and Harrison Ford?" For decades it seemed like there was no answer, I'm sure people in the 70's were having the same conversations about John Wayne.

Thankfully, we finally have our modern action stars.
Chris, Chris, and Chris, and maybe Chris (even though he isn't in any Marvel movies).
I don't know how they the managed to give them all the same name, but I'm glad we have them, and I'm going to watch all of their movies with a big smile of my face because I know that, like the superstars of yesteryear, these guys won't be around forever and right now is a very special time for everyone involved.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Frozen, the very fact that these comic movies now have a name for them like MCU is making my point. They have become their own genre. But I honestly can't say that I've been impressed by any of them. The Silver Surfer FF was the better of the two but I was very disappointed in the actors they chose--- nothing like the strip. One of the Hulks wasn't too bad. Superman/Batman was a big letdown. They are going right down the list. All that is left are Dial H For Hero, Balloon Man and Plastic Man. We've even done Popeye, the Flintstones and Casper.
These are all old cartoons. Like I said: Nothing new. Christ, they even did Rocky & Bullwinkle! And they all sucked.
By and large they have substituted over-the-top CGI effects with actions that are not even believable or realistic for good acting and good writing. Take away the CGI and you have nothing in these movies.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
If you really want to take it down to the bottom line, all movies are variations on the same four or five different plots.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Maybe true, pappy, but a well-acted, well-written movie makes me forget or not see that, rather than beat me over the head with that fact.

Game of Thrones rocks!!! And, keep an eye out for American Gods. If it is half as good as the book, it will blow your mind. I don't do druggies nor zombies, so I can't speak to the rest. Vikings was really good too. But, it really wasn't hard for producers to come up with great stuff after over a decade of reality BS shows. We got so used to horrible TV that when the least little bit of creativity was introduced, we jumped on it.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
All I know Michael is that if there is a movie intriguing enough to get me out to the theaters once every two years anymore, I am doing good. Anymore it seems that every movie is subtly pushing some sort of politics or lifestyle on me! And one that I do not welcome. Maybe it comes from the actors themselves who think their worldview really matters to others.
My IP recently transferred its email over to AOL so to keep my same email address I went with it. When I logged onto the AOL site, they had a list of politically charged and slanted hit stories as "news!"

Anymore it seems that every movie is subtly pushing some sort of politics or lifestyle on me!

I have no idea how you got from your OP to this. But, it seems really... It's movies, songs, stories. It is supposed to be out of your worldview. You enjoy them, not worship them like Bibles.
This may get me booted as a moderator, but people who divide this world into liberal and conservative are mentally stunted on some level of personality. We are many faceted beings. If someone is peeing in the street, it's not the breakdown of social fabric, or an example of how more government subsidies are needed. It is merely someone peeing in the road.
I am getting tired of these Trojan horse threads that start off as a movie or TV post, and then someone makes them political. Take it somewhere else. This is not that sort of place.
This has become a political thread and is Closed. If you cannot abstain from breaking things into liberal or conservative, IMO as an individual, you may want to find another forum that welcomes that sort of thing. This is a worldwide pipes and tobacco forum. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.