PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

charf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 10, 2018
New Zealand
Any of you guys & gals been watching this guys channel? I found it a while back. Great tobacco reviews matched up with Hollywood info.

Reactions: derhammer

burleyboy

Jul 30, 2019
Europe
I must say, I don't get, what's the point of these videos. By the way, the man behind this channel signed up here a while ago:

Reactions: Chasing Embers

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I may have to take a look, just for the higher production values. Pipe videos sometimes reveal some useful or interesting information. Unfortunately, most have the feature of giving you two minutes of material in eight or ten minutes, much puffing, sniffing, fidgeting, and doing the thinking that you are supposed to do before the video starts. Most amateurs feel they appear much more interesting than they do on video. Ones tattoos are not inherently fascinating to others. I don't doubt they are interesting folks, but they are not practiced in putting that over. Like everything else, a good video requires work-work-work. At least an hour for each minute of video time, for an estimate.

Sep 4, 2019
East TN
He does some really nice photography.. the smoke rings and pipe beauty shots.. Good stuff... the Hollywood stories are entertaining as well... I've seen two of his pipe reviews where he has these enormous tree trunk sized pipes.. custom jobbies... Its a good channel..

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I may have to take a look, just for the higher production values. Pipe videos sometimes reveal some useful or interesting information. Unfortunately, most have the feature of giving you two minutes of material in eight or ten minutes, much puffing, sniffing, fidgeting, and doing the thinking that you are supposed to do before the video starts. Most amateurs feel they appear much more interesting than they do on video. Ones tattoos are not inherently fascinating to others. I don't doubt they are interesting folks, but they are not practiced in putting that over. Like everything else, a good video requires work-work-work. At least an hour for each minute of video time, for an estimate.
yeah most of the pipe videos I watch have too much information and don't seem to stay on point. As if using a script or editing them down is a big no-no. Though they're still better then most how too videos. Seriously I just want to know if I am fixing something correctly I don't need to know how your cousin with IBS almost killed himself because he tried to pull the snake out of the toilet with his teeth while holding onto exposed wiring and that would of sucked cause he makes a great meat loaf.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My suspicion about homemade videos is that they are influenced by online and TV advertising which assumes a style of quick cuts, multiple narratives, and other gimmicks. The home video makers think this is all off the cuff. Boy, are they wrong. Ad companies might audition a hundred people for a 30 second ad, have a staff of writers doing a script, a huge crew of camera and tech guys, and may practice and edit for days, weeks. More is spent on advertising than on the shows they support. It sounds cruel, but I think ten run-throughs before taping is way too few. The speaker should not be thinking about what he's going to say next. He should be doing the whole pitch in his sleep the night before, from practicing so much. It's fun to ad lib, but not for the viewer in most cases. The speaker just looks clueless, and boring, and not knowledgeable. Some of these guys know their stuff, but have no idea about presenting it.

Reactions: Parsimonious Piper

Kilgore Trout

Nov 5, 2019
Overall he has some really enjoyable videos, although I could use more pipe/tobacco content and less Hollywood content. The Hollywood content is just surreally bizarre, and it's not trying to be, it's just Hollywood.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
The speaker should not be thinking about what he's going to say next. He should be doing the whole pitch in his sleep the night before, from practicing so much. It's fun to ad lib, but not for the viewer in most cases. The speaker just looks clueless, and boring, and not knowledgeable. Some of these guys know their stuff, but have no idea about presenting it.

I completely agree. Very few people know what it takes to appear professionally on film (or present in person for that matter). My friend works for a tech company and they put out product videos on youtube. Nearly all the product manager have a speech impediment or some physical abnormality and I just keep thinking "Hire professionals to promote your brand!" I'm amazed at the number of pipe videos that just show some guy telling random thoughts and smoking his pipe. Frankly, these are almost never deep thoughts or insights (I added the "almost" because an actual deep thought or insight might slip in by accident one day).

I could use more pipe/tobacco content and less Hollywood content.

Agreed. No Hollywood content would be ideal.

pipesticks

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2016
Chicago
I think some of you guys are being a bit judgemental and harsh. Most of these youtubers aren't trying to sell you something. They are average folks with little video experience just trying to get out there to share and enjoy the hobby with others. Give them a chance and you might get to feel like you know them as friends and appreciate the stories. Of course, it isn't for everybody. But I personally enjoy several youtubers that will just sit under a tree, light up and tell us how their week went. These are often folks that probably have nobody else to smoke with and sharing stories under a tree fills that void. Be patient and have a smoke with them. Reach out and send them a comment. You might just make some new smoking buddies.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Ehhh. That might be fine for those looking for digital friendships. Some people actually do that and more power to them. Personally, I go to youtube for information, not to make friends with the reviewer. A little professionalism is not out of range for most people. Many simply don't try.

Reactions: burleyboy

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I think some of you guys are being a bit judgemental and harsh. Most of these youtubers aren't trying to sell you something. They are average folks with little video experience just trying to get out there to share and enjoy the hobby with others. Give them a chance and you might get to feel like you know them as friends and appreciate the stories. Of course, it isn't for everybody. But I personally enjoy several youtubers that will just sit under a tree, light up and tell us how their week went. These are often folks that probably have nobody else to smoke with and sharing stories under a tree fills that void. Be patient and have a smoke with them. Reach out and send them a comment. You might just make some new smoking buddies.

Meh, most youtube channels strike me as an inherently egotistical pursuit by the video maker. Unless you're an expert in your field with something real to share with those who might be interested, you aren't contributing much besides "look at me!" Same for lots of social media generally, as well.

9mmpuffer

Might Stick Around
Mar 1, 2018
Hollywood does really fun reviews. I'm a big YouTube fan and I've watched 4 or 5 of them, love the Plum Pudding review.

charf

Jul 10, 2018
New Zealand
Hollywood does really fun reviews. I'm a big YouTube fan and I've watched 4 or 5 of them, love the Plum Pudding review.
When he is picking around the tobacco in the tin with his pocket knife you catch yourself wondering am I supposed to be smoking this stuff or eating like chocolate? LOL.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I watched the Penzance video. I liked beauty of his presentation, beautiful lighting, really professional imagery. The bits of information about the blend were good commentary. I did get a little tired of the constant stabbing and rustling of the flakes, and the slow motion smoke rings, but it all looked great. The opening pseudo horror film was well done silliness, but completely an exercise in vanity, as was the visit to the hip and trendy party that bookended the review.

Like so many of these tobacco videos, the superfluous stuff makes up the bulk of the presentation. A tight 90 would have done the job, but then again, where would the "Old Hollywood" connection work if not for the vanity sections. Maybe by integrating Old Hollywood into the actual review, with something more than Von Sternberg lighting.

But this isn't professional work, this is someone with professional level skills having fun.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I just can't watch any pipe videos.. it's like watching paint dry.
I can pipe myself, thank you. ;)

Reactions: JimInks
Status
Not open for further replies.