PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Thanks to all who helped me pick. Old Gowrie got the most votes so I fired it up this evening. What an awesome smoke! Thoroughly enjoyed it! Was going to load it up in my peterson tankard, but at the last minute I decided the 9pm twilight here in Alaska was more appropriate for my Vauen Auenland Eron Churchwarden so I decided to go full Hobbit. To honor Tolkein's affinity for Capstan, this pipe only ever gets loaded with Va/VaPer blends so it seemed a good fit. Will try the Red Rapparee next week in one of my Savs!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/181646015@N06/47927687863/in/dateposted-public/

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
vauen-pic-600x597.jpg

Reactions: TheWhale13

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
Before I suddenly didn't like latakia, Red Rap was among my favorites, so I dare say you're in for a treat there as well.

Old Gowrie is very good. I prefer Hal o' The Wynd, but the differences between them are subtle. To my palate, Old Gowrie has a little more burley and dark fired where HoTW is more va-forward.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
workman.....I have a couple tins of Hal on the way here (along with some Stirling Flake and Buckingham) so I’ll be making that comparison soon! Gonna do the red rapp first though. Its been a few bowls since Ive had any latakia and im starting to get fidgety.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Alaska, you actually look a bit like a pleased and contented Hobbit in that photo. :rofl:
Good on you, man. Nice looking pipe and I'm glad you tried OG! Great stuff isn't it?

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
verporchting......that's because I am! haha. And yes, it is some incredible tobacco! Immediately after smoking I went and ordered an assload more Rattray's, haha. Hal o The Wynd, Stirling Flake, and some Buckingham for my sweet tooth are all on the way :D :puffy:

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Those are all fine choices and I'm sure you will enjoy them all. Rattrays makes some beautiful tobacco blends for sure. I've yet to try one that I haven't liked.
I haven't tried the Buckingham, but all the others you listed are superb.

tulsagentleman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2019
Now that you have whetted my appetite for Old Gowrie, now tell me where I can buy some. Everywhere I look is out of stock.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I like Alaska this time of year. A guy can get a lot done !
I like Alaska every time of year! Although yes, spring is a particularly refreshing time of year after the long dark of winter. And it's a good thing a guy can get a lot done, because there is always a lot of choring to do after the snow breaks. Not as much as there is right before it falls though, haha.

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
Nice pipe! I need to try a churchwarden, I've never smoked one!
RE: "I prefer Hal o' The Wynd, but the differences between them are subtle. To my palate, Old Gowrie has a little more burley and dark fired where HoTW is more va-forward."

I also need to try Old Gowrie apparently, HOTW is an old fav but the comparison sounds like something I would really like..

Status
Not open for further replies.