PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stanlaurel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 31, 2015
Thanks guys. I think that I have smoked about 15 bowls of ODF. I tried Harris' "cube cut right out of the tin" method about a month ago and had trouble then too. All the other times I rubbed it out and let it dry. I have only recently really started to understand how slow I need to go. I will combine slow with dry and see what happens. The few times I had the flavor were great. I am looking forward to be able to get this consistently.

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
Consistency does seem to be the key. I have wonderful smokes with almost every brand then, the very next smoke often, will be a hot, steamy tasteless mess.
I now get more good experiences than bad, but I really want to get those consistently cool and dry smokes the experts describe!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
ODF may be coming through in a lot of different moistures so if it is sticking together after you pinch it then dry it till it doesn't. I remember the first time I tried it mine was very wet, but the last couple of tins were not. You can also play with the size of the cubes and different pipes. It took me a long time to find the right combo with SG FVF before I got it to smoke consistently, so you guys might just have to do the same with your ODF.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I really like this stuff, and I like the flake, though I haven't tried the loose version, because flakes seems to hold complex flavor better, and I enjoy the process of rubbing it out and letting it dry a little. Flake burns a little slower, it seems to me, and gives more smokes per tin.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Old Dark Fired, for those who seek potency, is a fine stepping stone, more nicotine than the average blend, about 75% of the heavy hitter HOs (high octane). You might say that the point of the very strong blends such as Dark Flake and brown and black rope is the nicotine and that taste is a lesser consideration. In fact to accomplish that power only certain tobacco can be used, and they must be used with concentration. Every percentage point of non-HO tobacco subtracts from the power.
ODF manages to straddle both worlds, with its spicy, smoky flavor. I haven't tried Bold Kentucky, but given its greater strength, my guess is that flavor, to that extent, might suffer.

Status
Not open for further replies.