PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I bought about 30 tins in 2012 & 13 and opened one of them recently. It was rusted at the junction of the seal on the lid and rim of the bottom. As I didn't know if other tins were so rusted, I opened and jarred all of them last weekend. All were rusted at the same place.
The dates that I recorded on the bottom of the tin were from 11/2012, 12/2012, 01/2013 and 04/2013. Production costs of making so much of this flake to meet the high demand caused MB to choose a lesser grade of metal, one that they knew would rust? Or a simple mistake? You would think that by now blenders would know the proper metal to use to avoid this.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I've seen that once before -- with some other brand. At the time, I got the impression it was due to some sort of water based formula used for the sealer. Thanks for the heads-up. Fortunately, ODF is available in boxed flake and ready-rubbed bulk.
I don't know of any way to stop the rusting, but a quick fix to stop leakage is to run a bead of wax around the lid.

But like you, I think Mason jars are the answer.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
@TrailBoss
They do.
Well, sort of.
All the Sutliff tins and the H&H tins I've gotten have had the pull top thing.

Dec 24, 2012
I store all my square and rectangle tins in silicone gasket airtight containers. I hope that holds out moisture and prevents rusting. Time will tell.

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
I lost a dozen tins of old aged Escudo that were stored in air tight tupperware boxes. It must have been a temperature fluctuation that caused all of the tins to pop and totally rust. I did salvage ALL of the tobacco and stored it in mason jars. Needless to say, I was pi**ed.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I think it well worth the time and effort to examine my tins every six months, but over the years I have been lucky to have only had a few rust. Such preventative maintenance is such a good idea that I might just try it;).

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
I'm the cagey sort, and don't trust any square tins (or the rolled ones either). If I intend to age it, it goes into a mason jar with a proper light seal.

To note, on the ODF I just reviewed dated March 2013 the seal showed ample rust. The tobacco wasn't affected, but it wasn't aging properly, and with time would have dried or degraded appreciably.

rockford

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 4, 2013
I just cracked open 2 from Nov 2012 and 2 from Aug 2013. Rust on all 4 where the side meets the lids. Guess I need to buy more jars.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
I know that if you store metal, like a pistol, in a baggie or tupperware or something that holds moisture in, it will rust. Have to allow moisture to escape.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
In my post above I suggested running a bead of wax between the lip of the lid and the side of the can.

That's a little messy, but I think it's a viable solution. Maybe running a bead of glue from a hot glue gun

would be neater. Neither idea will address the rust problem, but I think it will seal the tin until it rusts through.

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
Pretty sad that they're rusting so soon. They ought to find a different sort of tin.

riskybusiness

Lurker
Feb 13, 2014
London, UK
I know this from coin collecting: It is important to remove coins from the plastic bags they come packaged in. The plastic is NOT archival, and over time it will break down and destroy the coins.
Any flexible plastic will contain polyvinylchloride. The PVC is what makes plastic bendable. Over time, the chlorine leeches out of the plastic and combines with moisture in the air to form hydrochloric acid. HCL vapor deposits on coins inside plastic bags and starts acid-etching the metal. More coin collections have been destroyed this way.
So, I would recommend removing tobacco tins from plastic bags if you have them stored that way. The bag will contribute to the destruction of the tin.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
It sounds like there are quite a few people experiencing this. Do you think it is caused from the moisture inside the tins, or from the humidity in the room in which they are stored?

rockford

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 4, 2013
I would surmise it is due to the moisture in the tins, I have cracked other brands without issue and humidity is not really an issue in Calgary...

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
I've had the same thing happen with Erinmore Flake tins, Kingfisher tins, and Dunhill Light Flake tins. I ascribe it to a square shape allowing weak points to develop; rust needs moisture and oxygen exchange.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Ugh, I am still thanking the tobacco Gods I was able to discover my Kingfisher tins before they dried out. I was able to pull the lids off too easily.

theicon

Lurker
Mar 6, 2014
I would like to say that, if it were packed in the sardine style can maybe then you would say, it is not the same. Problem with any style tin is it is metal, the reason they use paper inserts is so the tin will not totally rust. Also they were not meant to sit for years in the tin, they were meant to be opened and smoked. This is why the tobacco in the metal tins will dry out quick if you do not smoke them quick or store the tobacoo quickly. It really depends on the moisture inside the tobacco. English will last much longer but the acid could be higher. Also tobacco in general is acidic so no matter the metal over time it will detroy any metal over time.

Jul 12, 2011
Thanks to all reporting this...you just saved 2pnds of my fav flake ( every single tin had very bad rust around rim, a few tins had really started to dry up ), thank you - thank you :worship:
Suggest everyone buying this in flake form just go straight for the boxes and jar asap :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.