Okay To Use a Filter Pipe Without a Filter?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a couple of filter pipes and I don't like what the filter does to the experience. Is it okay to use a filter pipe without a filter or will I be damaging it? I have seen inserts one can install in place of the filters but they look so gimmicky. I bought some Balsa inserts and they work great but oft times I won't clean my pipe until the next morning and you do not want to leave a moist piece of balsa in a pipe overnight. PEW! I only did it once....

Reactions: borzoomv

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Don't ever do it! The vacant chamber meant for a filter can fill with tobacconite residue from repeated smokes over time and will eventually explode! :eek:

200.gif

Frozenoak

Can't Leave
Oct 9, 2019
Lake Elsinore, CA
I have a pipe some 10 years old that I pulled the filter out of and haven’t looked back. I do clean the “chamber” with a paper towel when I’m cleaning it but I haven’t had any issues with it.

Reactions: Chasing Embers
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
I must confess,I have sold all my filter pipes away including those Savinellis which were using balsa filters, somehow I feel I would like to have one of those 6mm Savinellis back to my collection,generally speaking those were lovely pipes especially when smoking stronger Dark Kentucky (Latakia Blends) but I couldn't smoke them without using filters and when with adapters I were noticing some unwanted moisture build up in the tenon area.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Most filter pipes smoke well without a filter or adaptor, though you might want an adaptor if you'd like the draw a little more focused. Pipes differ, so some would feel better with an adaptor, others you don't need it. Mostly personal preference. It would be a rare pipe that would be damaged either way.

Swampdragon69

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 16, 2019
Why use a filter at all? Cooler smoke? Less tongue bite? What is the deal? Perceived better for your health? All the questions. I have asked other pipe smokers and they do not know. Lets brainstorm this.

Status
Not open for further replies.