PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

indianafrank

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 15, 2014
My hearing test showed a slight loss of hearing. I will be getting a pair of hearing aids. The nice lady who did the test as I sat in that large box told me the aids were very high tech.
“How often do I need to change the batteries?” I asked.
“Oh there are no batteries in these Frank.”
“WOW! No batteries?” I answered.
“Nope. The hearing aids have a computer chip and are Bluetooth ready.” She told me.
“UGH! I don’t like Bluetooth. I don’t know how to use it.”
The nice hearing test lady looked at me kinda funny like.
“You don’t have to do anything with them.” She said.
“Look. I’m not computer or Bluetooth savvy. I just got rid of a flip phone I had for ever, and I just bought my first new car in 20 years, and the salesman set up the Bluetooth because I had no clue how to do it. As a matter of fact…I told him I didn’t want the Bluetooth. Didn’t need Bluetooth. But my wife talked me into it.”
“Well it’s really no problem Frank.” She informed me.
“Ya right. You have no idea how many times my cell phone has rang in my car while I’m driving, and I’m fumbling trying to remember how to answer it with that Bluetooth. I push every button in my car. The radio comes on. The heater turns off. My lights start flashing. I don’t like Bluetooth.”
“You won’t have a problem with these. I assure you.”
“Who will set up the Bluetooth in my hearing aids?”
“There is no set up Frank.”
“I don’t want hearing aids that come with 5 pages of instructions…and 4 pages are in a language I can’t read.”
“I promise you once we show you how to wear the hearing aids, you’ll be happy.” She told me while trying to be reassuring.
My wife won the argument.
And this should be fun!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Good job. Despite whatever bother it is, this will give you more control. My wife had cataract surgery a few months ago, and now she doesn't need to have distance correction at all, and she marvels all the time at being able to see in full color again.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Sorry about your hearing loss. According to my wife, I suffer from selective hearing loss - I can somehow hear everything but her!

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
You're joking, right? I've never heard of hearing aids that don't require batteries. Bluetooth is a way the hearing aids connect with things such as your phone. But they don't charge via bluetooth. Normally, the place you purchase them at will set them up for you. There are settings and adjustments they have to make to tailor the hearing aids to your specific needs.
joeman, Tinnitus is what got me into hearing aids. By wearing the hearing aids, I no longer suffer from the ringing in my ears. Using the hearing aids also slows the progress of Tinnitus and hearing loss. If I quit wearing my hearing aids for a couple of days, the ringing starts again.

joeman

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2016
South Carolina
My father had the same constant ringing from tinnitus. He used a hearing aid, and his tinnitus was completely unaffected. In fact, I've heard that even if you go deaf, you'll still have the ringing because of the nature of the condition.

indianafrank

Oct 15, 2014
hoosierpipeguy
You're joking, right? I've never heard of hearing aids that don't require batteries.
I was told "no batteries." Every 4 years, they replace the aids.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
The batteries must be built in then and don't allow for changing out. Normal hearing aid batteries last 3 to 6 days. I'm guessing your hearing loss wasn't too horrible so you didn't need the high end hearing aids. Lucky you if so. Or, there is something really new, state of the art out there I haven't heard of yet. Changing out batteries isn't that big of a deal nor even that expensive. But it would sure be nice if I never had to change them.
Good luck, I hope they give you the qualify of life improvement I've enjoyed.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
You're joking, right? I've never heard of hearing aids that don't require batteries.
Frank may have opted for the new wind power supply...
beanie.jpg

jay-roger.jpg

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
My father had the same constant ringing from tinnitus. He used a hearing aid, and his tinnitus was completely unaffected. In fact, I've heard that even if you go deaf, you'll still have the ringing because of the nature of the condition.
Perhaps. And perhaps the technology and medical understanding has changed. There are also different types and levels of Tinnitus. Might be worthwhile for you to go visit a competent Audiologist and see. I know the constant ringing was very irritating to me, prior to solving it with the hearing aids, particularly when I had quiet time.

indianafrank

Oct 15, 2014
hoosierpipeguy
I'm guessing your hearing loss wasn't too horrible so you didn't need the high end hearing aids.
Hearing loss was not bad at all. Just below the threshold for normal hearing. Thanks!
Jay - :rofl:

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
On the forum, just deal with the hearing loss by having people TYPE LOUDER. IT'S REALLY HELPFUL,

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
I hope you at least got a reach around while they were screwing you!
You need a second opinion from another AuD!!
First if you had a slight lose you wouldn't need top the line aids. If you have a Costco visit their hearing dept you do not need to be a member for testing and consultation.

coffinmaker

Can't Leave
Jan 20, 2016
Frank, recharging these hi-tech hearing aids is very easy. Stand under high voltage power lines for 21 minutes. Or urinate on an electric fence, this is the quick charge method.

indianafrank

Oct 15, 2014
coffinmaker
Frank, recharging these hi-tech hearing aids is very easy. Stand under high voltage power lines for 21 minutes. Or urinate on an electric fence, this is the quick charge method.
:crazy:
Ya, but will I become sterile?
Michael +1 - I loved that movie.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
My audiologist told me those operate on the same sort of principle of energy efficiency as an LED light bulb.

You took a test, right?

Well, yours will last you 4 yrs likely, based on the test results because these use the electrical energy or some of it, from your brain power.

Now, my doctor told me mine would last 8 yrs.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
indiana', I think your wife did you an important favor here, as wives often do. Spouses often do. Sometimes it sounds like bother, but it's caring. (Strike up the violins.)

indianafrank

Oct 15, 2014
newbroom -
You took a test, right?
Yup. Took a test.
mso489
indiana', I think your wife did you an important favor here, as wives often do. Spouses often do. Sometimes it sounds like bother, but it's caring. (Strike up the violins.)
Love reading your posts. I most often agree with your comments. But not this time my friend. My wife insisted on me getting hearing aids so she can bug the hell out of me if I did get them. You have no idea how many times she has said.
"I told you so."
Don't get me wrong. I love my wife, but...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Ha-ha-ha! Sounds like you're married. Now you can hear if she is opening the refrigerator to get your chilled treats.

Status
Not open for further replies.