OK, So I Couldn't Afford The $1,500 Dunhill....

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
The other day, someone posted a picture of a incredible little 1920 Dunhill Group 1 that sold online for $1,530 or so....Loved the design and thought I would do something inspired by it. This is technically one of the most challenging pipes I've done- the shank is only 3/10"..and it has a ivory inlay, which only left room for a 4mm tenon (that's what I usually drill my airways at)

I ended up using a 4mm carbon fiber tenon- incredibly stiff and with a fairly large internal diameter...and here's how it came out...
b5ian9.jpg

...and a couple of pictures along the way...

29cub6g.jpg

sg35t5.jpg

2bte78.jpg

2wdpufm.jpg

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
I saw the one you are talking about but never followed up to see how it ended now I know how it ended and how it inspired your creation, outstanding Zack.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Thanks guys! I'm just happy I didn't destroy it on the lathe....On the shape, I'm sort of leaning towards calling that a canted egg...this one's going with me to Kansas City next month....

Dec 24, 2012
That is one fine looking little pipe. I like this one the best of all the wonderful pipes you have displayed here over the last many months.

rx2man

Part of the Furniture Now
May 25, 2012
Screw the Dunghill, that is really nice, where do you get the carbon fiber? I would like to try that.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
OMG. The Dunhill was nice for sure, but would love that one. Out of curiosity........ how much a another one would cost your friends here? :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.