OK, So I Couldn't Afford The $1,500 Dunhill....

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
@ejames-
Can't imagine doing a .300" shank!!
The worse part was turning the stub on the shank for the ivory inlay to fit on. The walls of that briar tenon ended up at around 1/32" reinforced by the ivory inlay...Would have used a gold band like in the original, but have no idea where to find one that small...

rolldog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2013
Awesome take on a classic, well done sir. I like that you used both classic and modern materials to engineer a design that doesn't compromise on elegance.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I'm not a small pipe fan but I'd make an exception to own the one you are showing. That is just stunning and so petite. I wish I was going to KC as I'd love the opportunity to own one of those and me thinks it would make a nice flake smoker. Outstanding work!

antbauers

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
Incredible. Everyone else already said it but I'm saying it again. Very nice work.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
That is a beautiful pipe. I much prefer the ivory (or horn) to the gold. It's exactly what I'm looking for. At the risk of seeming crass, how much for one just like it?
Andy

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I can picture the beads of sweat on your forehead as that 3/10" shank was spinning on your lathe! I love the re-interpretation of that Dunhill shape. Your stem work looks excellent as well. A keeper or for sale?

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Al,
That one's for sale- I only get to keep my mistakes (which explains my large and growing collection)- I'll have a table at the Kansas City Show in June- Should have a couple of those at the show...
If you guys have been following my progress since last year, I started with some incredibly funky shapes and a few keepers like the Snappin' Turtle. I'm actually getting to really enjoy doing variations off some of the classic Dunhills. If you guys see any interesting Dunhill shapes, let me know!..

May 31, 2012
Jawdropping awe!
WOW!

8O

That pipe is an eyeball glazing brain explosion!
Most excellent indeed.
I'm excited to hear about you doing some of the classic shapes,

you got deep talent!
...and congrats for getting on TPC

http://www.tobacco-pipe-collectors.mybigcommerce.com/z-hamric-pipes/

you're too modest and humble, so I had to throw the link in here...
...and I like your site,

http://www.zhamricpipes.com/
...your work is amazing!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Lovely piece of work, the cant and shape of the bowl, and that daringly slender shank and slim yet

ample stem. The grain is really elegant. I'm not sure I'd trust myself to smoke that baby in anything

but the quiet of my study. It's not a pipe I'd risk dropping. But it's a beauty.

Status
Not open for further replies.