Officially Initiated! A 'Virgin' No Longer..

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kathrano

Lurker
May 21, 2014
New York
Just finished my very first tobacco pipe experience! I'm ALL in! Although not perfect (of course), it was quite exhilarating and tasteful..
I chose the '1/3 full' breaking in method, and will continue with it for the next few smokes, adding more until a full bowl. I did have to relight a handful of times. I think the tobacco was too moist. It was a black Cavendish (H&H Mohawk River). I will let it dry out some before my next smoke in that pipe.
I enjoyed cleaning my Sav afterward, and am savoring the aftertaste. I will do the same with my MM cob tomorrow. I can't wait! IT'S ON!!
What a night! I'm very happy & content...although I want more pipes already! :)

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
With a lot of aros you're going to have to let them dry out. As someone who has an early morning drive across town, I load my pipe the night before so it has plenty of time to dry.
You don't need to fastidiously clean your pipes and it isn't advisable to do so immediately after smoking. You need to give your pipe some time to rest before pulling it apart or risk damaging the stem.

greatbrittn

Might Stick Around
May 21, 2014
Upstate, South Carolina
Yeah...my pipe collection grew from 1 to 13 in only a month. Not terrible, but I've decided to slow down and be sensible. I'd rather spend money on great tobacco. I'm fine with mid-range pipes for now with the hopes of having a nicer one in the future. Congrats kathrano and welcome! :)

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Welcome to the forums. Take care not to smoke too fast, lest you scorch your tongue -- something you won't realize has happened until it's too late. But then think of it as the pipe smokers' rite of passage. :lol:

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
Oh, the beginning of PAD, then you will hit a tobacco that you love and TAD will kick in. Congrats and welcome to the hobby!

kathrano

Lurker
May 21, 2014
New York
Thanks everybody! I honestly don't know how it all would have turned out if I hadn't found this site, and learned from its members. I'm very grateful and look forward to learning & experiencing more of the pipe world... Happy smokin'!

animusfurandi

Lurker
May 24, 2014
Nice. My first smoke was black cavendish too, but it was some disgusting stuff from Sutliff called Baklava. Considering how utterly rank it was, it's amazing I continued to smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.