PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
With the weather warming up (hopefully) pretty soon, a young mans thoughts turn to grilling and BBQing. Options are a little thin around where I am, but I do make some passable ribs and typically use either of these. The Stubbs for the ribs and the Rays for chicken. I know there are a trillion different kinds elsewhere. What do you guys use?
Original-updated.png

741324.jpg

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Being from North Carolina, we get mighty defensive over which side of the state's sauces we use. I was born in pretty much the middle of the East versus West sauce debate, so I indulge in a little of both, for different purposes. The East style is a vinegar based hot sauce using primarily apple cider vinegar, cayenne pepper and red pepper flakes. Some throw in a dash of brown sugar, but I never do.
Now for my ribs I like the western style, usually tomato paste based that makes for a thicker sauce. For that, I typically buy either of the two you already mentioned, Mike, or one born in North Carolina:
Bone-Suckin-Sauce-Hot-Style-16-oz.jpg

Funny Churchwarden, my wife's entire family lives in and around Madison County, NC, and I had to tell them that there was a tear in uses of barbecue sauces in their state. I felt weird explaining the whole vinegar, tomato based rip, while they were using a family sweet mustard sauce recipe.
For chicken and some cuts of pork, I prefer the Alabama white sauce...
2 cups mayonnaise.

1 cup distilled white vinegar.

1/2 cup apple juice.

2 teaspoons prepared horseradish.

2 teaspoons ground black pepper.

2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice.

1 teaspoon salt.

1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Most of the mustard based sauces you hear of around here are born out of South Carolina. They use that on their pork BBQ, but I can't stand the taste of it. Tried it several times on my pulled pork and it just ain't right to me.
Now the only thing I've tried that mustard sauce on that I liked was a chicken bog. If you ain't ever lived in South Carolina or been around people who have, you've likely not heard of chicken bog, but it's good eatin'. Might even get its own thread.
I like that white sauce recipe. Might have to give it a shot next time I grill some pork or chicken.

Her family is the Lunsfords out of the true deep mountains of Western NC. There are monuments to their patriarch, Bascom Lamar Lunsford, all over the place up there for bringing the banjo and true blue grass down out of the mountain. It took me a while to get used to their food and music, but I always take my banjo and a few jars of white sauce up there when we go. It's my favorite spot in the world... setting on top of the world. :puffy:

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
So the white sauce is used in place of BBQ sauce? Interesting.
Matt, I've seen that sauce on shelves up here. I will have to give that a try. I wouldn't mind trying to make a sauce either. I make my own rub, so why not a sauce?

jeff540

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
I love all BBQ sauce, but the last few years I've been gravitating towards simple: brine first night before, around noon ight up mixture of lump charcoal and quality chunks of hardwood on the Weber grill, disposable aluminum pan of water under meat (2-tier fire), spray meat occasionally with some cider vinegar every time I add some more wood to the fire, be patient while drinking beer and playing frisbee with the dog. Pull meat off the grill when the sun goes down, and it's always fall apart tender, flavorful and smokey.

Try using the sauce as the brine. You are basically "corning" the meat, when you brine or salt the meat beforehand. A good vinegar based sauce will do the same. The white sauce is especially good used this way with chicken. I just pour into into a plastic bag with my butchered hen, and let it set in the fridge over night. Then smoke it, and add more sauce before serving.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Any of the Stubbs are good. There is one for most any meat. For pulled pork though I make up a vinegar, mustard based sauce. I usually smoke, rarely barbecue, and steak is only grilled. Corn and potatoes are the only non-meats allowed in the smoker.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Here in S Louisiana the sauce was Jack Millers, had a vinegar base, low in sugar, as some of us get older, sugar is our enemy, I noticed Stubbs is low in sugar, our Miller sauce is a cross between Carolina and Texas sauce. We love our Jack Millers, I have made a French bread sandwich with just Jack Millers. :puffy:

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
My favorite Texas BBQ sauce is, Salt Lick. I haven’t been out there in a long time but their sauce is sold in the grocery stores now. It’s the most unique sauce, I love it. Franklin’s also has some good sauce but I refuse to wait in their lines, they’re ridiculous! But they have a coffee flavored sauce that is delicious.
Damn! That Alabama White Sauce sounds legit! I’m going to give that a shot, thanks for sharing the ingredients, cosmic

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I was a pitmaster for 5 years. I learned one thing. Keep it simple and you'll sell a lot. I've had some great ingredient laden sauces but cost can be a huge factor.
Here is a recipe that we sold in gallons....
5 gallon mustard/vinegar based recipe from memory. Adjust to your needs.
2 x 7 lbs cans of ketchup.

1 gallon mustard

2 cans of water from ketchup

44 ounces of worcestershire sauce

16 ounces of white vinegar

3 table spoons of ground cayenne pepper
Mix well.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
voorhees: Your proportions are right. But, I prefer no red tint or sweetness in my "Northern Carolina" style sauce. You are absolutely right, simple is best. One isn't suppose to hide the meat. For me, acid perfectly compliments the sweetness of pork. It's a marriage made in heaven for my palate.

Status
Not open for further replies.