Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
My 10-year-old has only one ardent desire -- to see, play in and just generally experience SNOW.
So, EARLY tomorrow morning we'll hop a plane and fly to Boston to spend a long weekend with my good friends in Acton, Mass. They have plenty of snow on the ground, some more predicted for the weekend. They live near a snow-tubing place and they're close to Lexington-Concord (my boy is big Revolutionary War buff). We'll also visit the Boston Tea Party Museum & Ships, which is said to be fun, and the Old North Church and some other spots.
We'll see how much he actually enjoys the snowy bits, though. I grew up on the east side of Cleveland where we had tons of snow and cold. This boy is a half-Cuban kid from Miami, who may not find 20 degrees all that much fun. :)
If you think there's any place in the Boston area that is just not be missed on a weekend like this, please chime in.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
I dont know a place but i just wanna say that is some awesome parenting. The kid is lucky to have you. and its really adorable that you flew your boy just so he can play in snow. lol :clap: i hope he likes it and remembers this experience. Dress warm and have fun.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Tslex, good parenting , most people Don"t have the money I could have said resources but that is in my view doublespeak, when parents tend to be well off the kids don"t come first, kudos to you for doing this, he probably will never forget his adventure, way to go The old cajun

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
They are still cleaning up the snow banks after last weeks storm, it was horrible. Faneuil Hall Marketplace is the tourist destination you should visit, and Peretti Tobacconist at 2 1/2 Park Square is the finest old time pipe and tobacco shop in town. Just be warned ahead of time, Children are not allowed in the store. It's law.

Boston is a fantastic walking town, when the weather is nice, enjoy your visit.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
Thanks fir the tips.
We are lucking out on the weather. I planned the trip some time ago to correspond to his winter break. I figured, worst case, we could drive up to the White Mountains in NH and be sure of snow. Now it turns out we just need to go to the backyard. Glad the blizzard was last week.
Peretti's looks amazing, a real classic tobacconist. But I guess I'll have to check it out next trip. This weekend is about the boy. He really loves tobacco and pipe stores, and would have loved to have hung out there with me and tell me what pipe to buy and tell me what he smells in the tobaccos. (He says FMOTT smells like BBQ ribs.) But if he can't go in, I'll have to skip it. Ah, Massachusetts, you nanny state you.
(Discussing our packing, and the fact that we could carry on since I won't be able to take my pistol, we talked about how different states have different laws for all kinds of things, including guns. His spontaneous comment: "So the place where we started a revolution when the British came for the colonists guns at Lexingtion is now a place you can't have a gun. And we're going to visit Lexington. That's ironic." Smart kid.)
I think we are going to go to the Teas Party Museum and Ships, which looks hokie, but fun, He wants to yell "Down the British! Down the King!" and throw a bail of tea into the harbor, which is an activity they have. Hmmmm. Iced over harbor? Faneuil Hall for sure. Mike's Pastry. Full tourist list.
Should be big fun all around.

radio807

Can't Leave
Nov 26, 2011
New Jersey
Don't know if you and your son would be interested, but here's another place where kids are allowed: http://www.bostonchildrensmuseum.org/.
Have a safe trip and a great time!

bogglor

Might Stick Around
Nov 30, 2012
I'm from NH originally (Salem) and live about half an hour north of Boston. The Children's museum is great fun and quite large. You will probably have to dedicate an afternoon to it. Get some Pizzeria Regina for lunch at some point - great thin crust North End pizza. I think there's one in Fanueil Hall.

hfearly

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 11, 2012
Canada
My 10-year-old has only one ardent desire -- to see, play in and just generally experience SNOW.
I have only one ardent desire - to never see snow again ...

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I hope this message gets to you in time. I grew up in Boston so obviously know it well. The place to eat if you don't mind a drive is Woodmans, http://www.woodmans.com/. It is in Essex mass and has the best Lobster, fried clams, steamers and onion rings on the planet. They have been in business since 1914 and I began going there as soon as I could chew.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
Thanks for all the great tips.
Got to out friends house about noon and headed straight over to Nashoba to tube since the weather was perfect (32, no wind). Tomorrow promises to be much colder, so planning on driving to the T, then riding in to visit Faneuil Hall, the Boston Tea Party Museum, and the USS Constitution -- and more if we're up for it. Monday is Lexington/Concord.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Sounds like a wonderful trip with your son. Don't be afraid to share some pix. Boston is one city I've never visited, we'll have to fix that soon I hope.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Since you are going to be downtown, if you are looking for a place to eat, I highly recommend Ocean Wealth in Chinatown. Order a 5 pound lobster( you can pick your own out of the tanks) and have it done in Black Bean sauce which is a standard Hong Kong style Cantonese dish. It is Nirvana.
Nashoba Valley is a great little place, glad you had a blast. We used to ski there a lot when we didn't feel like making the drive to NH or Vermont to ski.

Status
Not open for further replies.