PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Kevin's general presence on this site (his site) and his handling of the recent fracas reminded me of what Elliott West writes about the successful saloonmen of the mining frontier in the Rocky Mountains. West notes first of all that the good saloon owners were genial. He then goes on to write:
"[T]he saloonkeeper faced a dilemma. It was in his interest to encourage among his patrons a spontaneity and an easing of inhibitions. The saloon's atmosphere of freedom from social restraints recommended it as much as its beer and whiskey. At some point, however, an overly boisterous drinker became obnoxious or threatening to those around him. Under such circumstances, the better behaved majority expected the barkeeper to provide a minimum of protection. A proprietor talented in peace keeping thereby gained an important edge over his competitors...Open, gregarious, a man not above drinking with his friends, a fine fellow but hard when he had to be..." (West 1979: 59, 61, 63)
For me, and I expect for other members as well, the Pipes Magazine Forum is an Internet-age saloon (BYOB). I believe it to be a successful one. For the success of this forum many thanks are owed to Kevin, a man who seems to possess the traits that would have made him a successful frontier saloonman. Cheers!
Reference: West, Elliott. 1979. The Saloon on the Rocky Mountain Mining Frontier Lincoln, NE: University of Nebraska Press.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Kevin's general presence on this site (his site) and his handling of the recent fracas reminded me of what Elliott West writes about the successful saloonmen of the mining frontier in the Rocky Mountains. West notes first of all that the good saloon owners were genial. He then goes on to write:
"[T]he saloonkeeper faced a dilemma. It was in his interest to encourage among his patrons a spontaneity and an easing of inhibitions. The saloon's atmosphere of freedom from social restraints recommended it as much as its beer and whiskey. At some point, however, an overly boisterous drinker became obnoxious or threatening to those around him. Under such circumstances, the better behaved majority expected the barkeeper to provide a minimum of protection. A proprietor talented in peace keeping thereby gained an important edge over his competitors...Open, gregarious, a man not above drinking with his friends, a fine fellow but hard when he had to be..." (West 1979: 59, 61, 63)
For me, and I expect for other members as well, the Pipes Magazine Forum is an Internet-age saloon (BYOB). I believe it to be a successful one. For the success of this forum many thanks are owed to Kevin, a man who seems to possess the traits that would have made him a successful frontier saloonman. Cheers!- Buroak
I'll drink to that! :wink:

desertpipe

Might Stick Around
Nov 13, 2014
A double Bourbon, neat......and thanks for both the freedom and safety you maintain here.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
"I will not be laid a hand on. I will not be wronged. I will not stand for an insult. I don't do these things to others. I require the same from them.”

- J.B. Books, the lead character in "The Shootist," a Western by Glendon Swarthout

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
Well said...... Course on a sad note when a gun fight breaks out its usually the bartender that get hit in the crossfire. Lol :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.