Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
In the US we've got a pretty good batch of pipe repair pros. A thought occurred to me in thinking about how tough things are for our Canadian brethren/sistern. [sic, very] Serious question:
Are there any reputable/reliable Canadian pipe repair providers?
Bill

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Steve Laug does resto, but not as a full time gig. https://rebornpipes.com/
I don't know of any who do it full time. There was a guy in Calgary who did it for some of the shops in town, but I have no idea who or what his skill level was.
Thing is, as a Canadian, there just isn't enough trade in pipes to make any kind of living at it - not enough people, not enough smokers, most especially, not enough pipe smokers.
I do the occassional repair when someone twists my arm hard enough, but it's rare and unpleasant.
And... it's just not that big a deal to ship a pipe to one of the qualified and competent American pipe fixer dudes.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
And... it's just not that big a deal to ship a pipe to one of the qualified and competent American pipe fixer dudes
I live in the US, but have shipped pipes to Canada and have had pipes shipped to me. On average I think it costs about $10 more. I could be wrong, but that's not a big deal.

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
There's Charles Lemon in Ontario. He has a website called Dad's Pipes where he blogs about the pipes he repairs, step by step. It's quite good. Rebornpipes does the same. I'm not sure if Charles does this full-time or not.

canadianpuffer

Can't Leave
Oct 8, 2017
There’s a pipe shop in Oshawa “Victory Cigars/Victory Pipes” that take repairs. I believe they have a guy named Jack or something they contract it out too. I’ve had a replacement stem done and the work was fantastic and only like $25 CAD. I’ve had a few other friend get some restoration work that turned out well. Turn around tine was good too.

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
What pipe did you have the replacement stem done for? I have a couple of Peterson bowls that need a stem. I've been hoping to find original stems but that might be a needle in a haystack situation.

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
Pruss told me about Victory Cigars in Oshawa as well. Good to know we have a few options. I have a 1911 GBD Speciale, however, that I will be sending to Cook's Fine Pipe Works in the future. For some pipes, you just want to make sure they get the royal treatment.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Many Thanks, guys! Like I said, it just occurred to me while thinking about everything *else* our northern compadres have to suffer through. :( I figured it'd be pretty much like sas said:
just isn't enough trade in pipes to make any kind of living at it
Bill

canadianpuffer

Can't Leave
Oct 8, 2017
Funny enough I had a stem cut for the pipe Pat/Pruss gave me before he left for NZ. It’s a comoy and looks and smokes great

Status
Not open for further replies.