PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Jay, we don't have many if any hard and fast rules. We do like to hold off until kickoff Friday in general. That way first impressions are still fresh when posting your reviews.
However, if the temptation to sample is to great to resist, please refrain from commenting until we actually begin the crawl. I typically start smoking on Thursday, so that I will have something to contribute on Friday. Buy some members might not light up until the following week. Others may skip a week entirely, while others may just drop in to discuss one blend.
The point is to have fun and learn about our addicting hobby. (And I'm not referring to nicotine.)
Pax

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Got the skew number and the secret handshake...will be ordering on Monday. :D

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
I may sit in on half of this, as I've got tins of Jackknife and Quiet Nights on hand. Sextant doesn't grab me, but I haven't had Sixpence at all, and I'm looking forward to reading about all of your experiences with it.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
Jack knife has too much of the dark fired for me.
Quiet nights is one my favorite Latakia blends.
Sextant is one of the most interesting blends on the market today. I just opened a tin I bought from the 2012 Chicago show when it came out.
I have a tin of sixpence, I will open it in October. So I am in for at least half of the crawl.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I think you might find several blenders working booths at most pipe shows.I'm going to try to make one next year.
Sounds worthy. Some good advice I received: "Never try to out-drink a blender!"

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I fortunately have 3 of the 4 blends already, so I can pull mostly from my cellar. I will need to pick up some Quiet Nights to complete the requirements. I am also hoping the new blend will be released in time for me to piggyback the two in one order.

jaydublin

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 11, 2015
Only GLP blends I've tried so far, and only recently at that, are Cumberland and Westminster. Cumberland is working on me and I loved Westminster on first light. My Pax package arrives today from SP. I can look forward to 3 weeks of starring at the tins! Yeah, that ain't gonna happen, but I'll keep my mouth shut, brass, I promise.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I only have about 15 pounds in my cellar but I have over 50 different blends. I could smoke a different tobacco every week for a year and not repeat. I know there are guys who have hundreds of pounds, and one guy has a half a ton, as I quickly point out to my wife when she inquires as to how much tobacco I really need.
I like smoking and comparing similar blends over a week or a month,e.g. I'll smoke mostly Lat blends for a while, then maybe VaPers for a few weeks, etc. I'm still search for a tobacco I don't like. In general I at least like a blend, others I love. The ones I look for have legs - I can smoke them for weeks without tiring of them. Escudo, Squadron Leader, Quiet Nights, Margate, McClelland 2035 Dark Flake, ODF and more.

fmgee

Sep 26, 2014
My father in-law arrives for a vist on September 30th. He smoked a pipe for years but quit when he retired a number of years ago. Sounds like he smoked mostly cavendish based house blends. I told him about the crawl and he is excited. He looked for his 'good' pipe but when he found it he noticed it had burned out. So we might need to go pipe shopping when he arrives. It will be fun to share this with him.

fmgee

Sep 26, 2014
brass: Conversation is never a concern with my father in-law, he was a prof who can fill all and every silent space with words. I hope the pipe in his mouth can lead to some enjoyable silence spent together! We get on well and my kids are excited to have him back as a knee replacement and other things have kept him away for a year now.

May 31, 2012
Damn!

:!:
I'm gonna hafta get in on this.
Already have 3 of the 4,

JKP a well-established favorite,

Sextant and Sixpence yet to be sampled, so they'll will be new to me,

just need to get some Quiet Nights.
The JKP I'll open for the Crawl,

is this one:
DsKbWjW.jpg

iKYCfHd.jpg

drunkblowhard

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2015
I'm way in.
A quick question about pricing on the sampler pack...

As I add it up, the special unpublishable SPC price is a total of 15 cents cheaper than ordering the tins at full price from P&C.
I'm not bitching and moaning. I'll gladly pay full price. I just want to make sure that I'm doing it right.
Am I doing it right?

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Regarding pricing, both P&CP and SP sell at razor thin margins. Crawl members are not obligated to purchase from any specific vendor. The bundles we arrange are priced competitively but are offered 1. as a convenience to participants. 2. As a way of supporting vendors who support PipesMagazine in general and the Crawls in particular.
Many of us already have some of the tobaccos in our cellar and will need purchase only one or two tins. While we would like everyone to support our sponsors, crawlers are free to procure their baccy from any source.
Pax

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Actually, I don't have a record of a PM from you. However, I just sent the info via PM to you. Thank you for your participation and all those that have responded so enthusiastically.

Status
Not open for further replies.