PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
I have often used Obsidian oil on my stems to keep them shiny. As per the directions you leave it on for 30 minutes then buff off with a soft cloth. This was my first mistake. I was having trouble with some of my stems discoloring after I had taken the oxidation off. Some are part of my collection of Custom-Bilts and I don't smoke them that often. I thought what the heck, I'll just wipe some on and leave it, for a week or so. Well I forgot and started selling down my other pipes and I was left with what smoked the best. However some of them had obsidian oil on the stem I had not wiped it off.
I smoked a few of these and after lighting and smoking, I would hold my pipe in my mouth. Clenching. I figured out later that my tounge when then touch the stem, still with oil on it and BAM, taste freezes up, nothing, nada cant taste anything after the oil hits my tounge. I did this a few times and then finally figure out what was going on. I went back and wiped all my stems off with a microfiber cloth and the problem became more infrequent.
Now I haven't washed that cloth in a while and I still was using it to clean up my pipes if they need a little buffing here and there. The problem crept up and has happened a few more times. I have stopped using that cloth on my stem and now just use T-Shirt scraps instead. If I get just a little on my tounge, I can recognize it and wipe the stem off while smoking before it desensatizes my tounge. So I guess if you are having trouble tasting all at once then perhaps look at how recently you used this oil and if you wiped your stem off with a clean cloth.

Back to olive oil for me, yeah it doesnt taste great but doesnt stop me from tasting a smoke.

Reactions: elvishrunes

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Snag
I have purchased the Obsidian Oil and find it to be just about useless.
Possibly I'm using it incorrectly, but I find it does nothing for my pipes.

jarit

Can't Leave
Jul 2, 2013
Thanks for the report.
I've used lip balm for the stems for a few years. The one I have is beeswax-based and has no added flavorings. It also has UV-protection -- I figured that would help against oxidation, as well. It appears to work for stems and lips alike.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I don't think it is fair to any product to completely ignore the directions and then state that it does not work.
Winton

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
+1 winton. I've used it (following the directions) and have not noticed a problem. I don't use it all that often, however.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Follow the usage guidelines and it works wonderfully.

Olive oil may be just as good, I don't know, but don't trash a product because you didn't use it as directed.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
I have used it as directed since then, and also on stems that had not had any of the oil on it before and wiped the stems off after 30 minutes with a clean cloth, same problem for me. I didn't say it didn't work,I just advised of the problem I had with it.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I have used it as directed since then, ....I didn't say it didn't work,I just advised of the problem I had with it.
Then that is a very interesting data point. Can an oil block taste receptors? I have no idea, I'm not qualified to comment, but it is certainly interesting. Vulcanite, or any other material used for stems like acrylic or lucite), is not inert. It also degrades over time, off-gases and exudes (plasticizers, oils...what else?)
But before condemning a product, it would help to understand what may, or may not, be happening.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
Try original chap stick with the black label on the stems. It is cheap and lasts.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I have a bottle and use it per the directions, but other than making the stem shiny at the moment, I'm not convinced it has any long term benefits

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
I second the Chapstick, look at ingredients, the one with saycillic acid is the one to buy, butter the button end when you are through smoking leave and wipe later, cheap and works.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I have found when I put it on new stems it seems to keep the oxidation at bay but not so much on stems that already have a little bit. I think it takes longer for them to get worse though. Just my .02. I put on quite a bit though.

malusrex

Lurker
Dec 8, 2013
Grovetown GA
I for one, find your statement helpful. Though, not for pipes or pipe smoking. I'm gonna try that taste blocking trick the next time Ma-In-Law decides she'd rather cook than let me do it.
Obsidian or Extra Virgin,… leave it on 30, buff it off, dry 24-48hrs. No problems. Guaranteed.

Reactions: richard2
Status
Not open for further replies.