Oak Bog Morta Wood

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

monty55

Preferred Member
Apr 16, 2014
Anyone own a pipe made from this wood? How does it smoke?? I'm considering a purchase, but wanted to know more about how they smoke... or do they just look great?

tobyducote

Preferred Member
Jun 10, 2012
Yes I have 12 "bog oak" Morta pipes....they are among my favorites!!!! You can PM me if you want more info

martiniman

Preferred Member
Apr 6, 2012
12 Mortas? Good lord 8O
I've been wanting one but haven't pulled the trigger, I hear they are more like meers than briar.

tobyducote

Preferred Member
Jun 10, 2012
I agree JYD, I'm not too excited about strawberry, I have tried Olive and found it smoked just fine without any aftertaste...

ejames

Preferred Member
Oct 6, 2009
I finally smoked a Morta earlier this evening. Wish it were a Davorin but this one was made by some old hillbilly in Missouri. Tasted kinda "different" for the first bowl,second one was better. Think I'm going to like it.

ravenwolf

Mar 18, 2014
I have two from Mark Stewart, back when he was making them. I enjoy them occasionally. It's kind of like smoking a type of stone rather than a type of wood. Quite durable material, and latakia blends seem to shine in them. I would encourage people to try one at some point in their life. Sort of a bridge gap between briar and meerschaum, in my opinion.