PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

4dotsasieni

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2013
Over the years, I've found that the tobacco taste I most enjoy is a mellow, nutty flavour, which is, I guess, a natural tobacco taste. I've found this flavour to be present in all sorts of tobacco, whether aromatics or straight Virginias or Burleys, regardless of what flavouring agents or casings may be present, and, strangely, most often in the last half-inch or so of a bowlful.
What tobaccos would my fellow forum members suggest that would yield the most "nuttiness"? I'd appreciate your recommendations.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
That is one of my favourite tastes from my limited experience so far. Of course there's Carter Hall, but probably the nicest nutty flavour I've had is from the Edgeworth Ready Rubbed match from Altadis. You used to be able to get that from Pipes & Cigars.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Peterson Nutty Cut..I like it very much. From a review- Virginia, Burley, and Black Cavendish marry nicely with the casing of Macadamian nuts, rum, and coconut (the latter of which is least noticeable).

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Germain Royal Jersey Perique Mixture has a nuttiness to it that suggests an almond, or maybe a soft pistachio flavor.

4noggins Weybridge is a Va-Bur-Per in which the Burley is distinctly nut-like.

Skandinavik Regular, and to a lesser degree, Sail (Yellow) have a nut-like component that keeps me coming back for more. (In fact, I think that back in the 60's it was Sail that had the slogan "Sweet As A Nut".)

C&D's Safe Harbor Flake is said to be nutty, but I haven't yet cracked the tin sitting in my cellar.

Mac Baren Mixture Scottish Blend starts out with a truly nutty taste -- creamy nutty. As the smoke progresses, that nuttiness fades into the background, but is still detectable if you probe for it.

Hearth & Home LJ Heart Burley features two Burley's that have a nut-like character, and it has a very expansive flavor that is ideally suited as an after dinner smoke. It'll make you feel like a king. It comes very dry, and its irregular cut reminds one of fish food flakes; but don't re-humidify it! It works best just as it comes (and you get a lot of tobacco this way because it's sold by weight!)

Cornell & Diehl #841: Sha'are Orah (Gates Of Light), another Va-Bur-Per, this time with Orientals -- but mainly a straight-ahead, Burley forward blend with just enough of the other leaf to serve as a foil for the Burley's nuttiness, and cancel out its bitter side.
:rofl: Hey! Maybe I should get a job writing tin descriptions!

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
+1 Solani Aged Burley Flake.
Also MacBaren Burley London Blend, with a bit of cedar to go along with it.

mrjerke

Lifer
Jun 10, 2013
Midwest
I did leave some FVF out to dry for over 24 hours a few weeks back and when I took the first puff it tasted like a swallowed a spoonful of peanut butter. Definitely the most nuttiness I've ever tasted.

4dotsasieni

Jan 6, 2013
Thanks for all the suggestions - since I like Peterson tobaccos, I think I'll try some of their "Nutty Cut" first.

batdemon

Dec 20, 2011
Wilke Nut Brown Burley is fantastic, as are all of Carole's blends. If you are a burley lover, you can't go wrong with this blend IMHO

phil22

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 19, 2013
I do not get bit from Mac Baren tobacco at all, but I have twice been bitten from "Nutty Cut" and now break in a cold sweat if I even look at the tin.
I like McClelland's Just Plain Nut pretty well.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Edgeworth Ready Rubbed match from Altadis, very nutty with a hint of molasses from time to time.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I get a nice shot of nuttiness from Granger, but I'm responsive to burleys more than most, so I'm not sure

I can offer this as a recommendation, probably not compared to other more sophisticated blends recommended.

john218

May 5, 2012
Connecticut
To me, the nutty quality is in burleys like Solani Aged Burley Flake and Wessex Burley Slice and to a somewhat lesser degree in Carter Hall.
I've smoked them in briars and cobs. For me, the smoking qualities of a cob are best brought out with those blends.

4dotsasieni

Jan 6, 2013
Well, I tried the Peterson's "Nutty Cut," and I may be nutty, but this blend isn't. To give it a fair trial, I smoked a bowl in three different pipes: a Brigham Voyageur, a Peterson Aran, and a Savinelli Antique Shell. I got a little bit of the rum flavour on the retrohale, but macadamia nut and coconut? - AWOL.
I've been told that this tobacco has a wonderful aroma ("room note"), so if you're a truly selfless person who just wants to create an enjoyable ambience for others, go for it; otherwise, I'd pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.