PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahmadothman

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2016
Egypt
Hi all

I haven't had the time to search for proper Mason jars. And since i don't cellar tobacco for long, i thought that using Nutella jars would be enough to keep tobacco in a good shape for the short term( a couple of months). So does anyone have experience with this? So far it seems to be working well. As when i shell the jar around the lid, i can't detect any aroma

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
<p>Ahmad,<br />
There is one flaw in your plan, that I can help you with. You will need to empty the jars of all that nasty Nutella somehow...just send the jars to me, full and I will take one for the team and empty them of all that hazelnutty goodness for you, free of charge! I know, I know your thinking this is one helluva guy to do this for me, I get that a lot!

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Sounds like a good plan, and if the do give some ghosting who cares! that stuff is good.

Some people poked fun of me couple years ago when I suggested "cleaned" baby food jars (we had a newborn). But I'll tell ya the work and I still use them.

jitterbugdude

Mar 25, 2014
The plastic lids do not seal that well. Eventually your tobacco will dry out. For short term storage ( a few months) you will probably be OK but for longer term you should get mason jars with the metal/gasket lid.

reniaeats

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 4, 2014
United States
One question I didn't see, Nutella jars in the states (at least where I'm at) are plastic. Are yours glass or plastic? I wouldn't use plastic, but if they're glass you'll be fine for a few months probably.
Something you might have more available in Egypt are tahini jars? At least in the states, most of those come with a rubber seal screw top and I bet the ghost on certain tobaccos (if there is any) would be super interesting.

ahmadothman

Apr 26, 2016
Egypt
One question I didn't see, Nutella jars in the states (at least where I'm at) are plastic. Are yours glass or plastic? I wouldn't use plastic, but if they're glass you'll be fine for a few months probably.
Something you might have more available in Egypt are tahini jars? At least in the states, most of those come with a rubber seal screw top and I bet the ghost on certain tobaccos (if there is any) would be super interesting.
Well, thanks for the tip.. Actually in Egypt, Nutella jars are glass with large plastic lids, so they go deep into their threads.. And Tahini Jars are mostly plastic.. so it's the opposite way. :)

ahmadothman

Apr 26, 2016
Egypt
And also, I think I won't age an Amphora :D it is just till I finish it. So totally short term storage

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
For short term storage you may use any kind of glass jar with a nice sealing. I have been using these for 8 month already and they are doing totally fine.
2015-11-07-17-513x600.jpg

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
If you get some Molto Dolce, you won't be able to tell if there's any Nutella ghosting... :D

ahmadothman

Apr 26, 2016
Egypt
Hahaha.. I am thinking of getting some Molto Dolce actually. Now I ordered a Peterson sweet Killarney. So it may workout well for that

Status
Not open for further replies.