PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

collin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
I just finished up my first two re-furbish jobs, they are far from perfect but I learned a LOT;
1. Don't take off the original finish with 180 grit unless you HAVE to. And if you have to, get comfortable, you're going to be there for a while.
2. A variable speed bench-grinder 2000-3400rpm is fine for waxing. Turned down to 2000 rpm of course.
3. Plastic sandwich bags split due to the petroleum base in bars of buffing compound and Carnauba wax, they will do this while holding them four feet above the garage floor.
4. Carnauba wax is brittle.
5. This forum contains enough information, (without asking silly questions), to turn estate pipes into first rate additions to your regular rotation.
M. Gasparini before

100_0592e.jpg

100_0592.jpg

M. Gasparini after

100_0631.jpg

100_0637.jpg

Red Dot before

100_0571.jpg

100_0573.jpg

Red Dot after

100_0627.jpg

100_0629.jpg

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
Very nice brother. You do nice work...you should be proud of your skills.

collindow

Jul 15, 2010
Portland, OR
Oh God, bleaching stems. That brings back some negative memories...

On topic, damn fine work. That red dot, especially, looks a LOT better now!

collin

Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
Yeah, they both got a Clorox bath for exactly one hour,..each was vulcanite and in pretty good shape to start with. As a matter of fact our Mr.wallbrite had already done the bleach treatment on the Gasparini and it looked great, so it really didn’t need another one, but I had the bleach out already so,….in it went.

The Red Dot has the aluminum screw-in stem, so I had give it a coat of Vaseline as well as what was left of the logos on the Gasparini.
*edit* I remember that post Collin,....sorry. (Changed my name so they could tell us apart!)

hilojohnny

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
Very nice work....those two warriors now have a new lease on life....Well done!... :worship:

collin

Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
Thanks guys,I'm flattered.

And you bet, Bubba..I used the White-Out just like UncleArthur suggested. It works great!
(The paper note was not meant for the post, those are just notes I throw in the sandwich bag along with the pipe as a reminder for myself when the pipe goes into storage for a while.)

wallbright

Aug 22, 2010
Very nice! I am glad that pipe turned out so well. I was sad to see it go but I am glad it found a great new home.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
A not on old finishes Tommy . First try using 0000 steel wool with strong alcohol if you have to remove the old finish . You can always go to a more aggressive medium . However having to sand out severe sanding scratches is very time consuming.

collin

Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
Thanks, good point.

I can testify to the long drawn out sanding part.

The problem was not the relatively thin finish,...but the remarkably-deep layer of stain that had soaked into some really soft areas of the grain.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
For super deep stain soak overnight in alcohol. Most stains used in the industry are alcohol based. Let the stummel fully dry and then proceed.

Status
Not open for further replies.