Number Nine, Number Nine, Number Nine...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Just a friendly reminder, and to ask that everyone please follow Rule Number Nine.
Spelling, Punctuation and Grammar
9. In order to maintain the quality of our forum and facilitate communication, it is the policy of PipesMagazine to encourage the use of standard spelling, punctuation and grammar.
Members are requested to proof read their posts before submitting them. Please capitalize words in the thread titles.
You may be contacted by moderators and asked to reword posts that we deem too difficult for many to read. If there are repeated violations that appear to be due only to laziness, you run the risk of having posts deleted or being submitted for moderation before appearing on the forum.
A list of common abbreviations and acronyms may be found at http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/terminology. We can add to this list, but if you use new or obscure acronyms, please GUAH (Give Us A Hint).
British-English spelling standards are acceptable as well as American standards.
Perfect grammar is not required. We encourage everyone to do his best. Allowances will be made for those for whom English is difficult.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Just to be sure that I had been correcting titles "correctly" I decided to check up on myself.

Here is what I found.

I think this will be useful for those with questions about "proper" capitalization of titles.
Here are directions for implementing APA’s title case:
Capitalize the first word of the title/heading and of any subtitle/subheading;

Capitalize all “major” words (nouns, verbs, adjectives, adverbs, and pronouns) in the title/heading, including the second part of hyphenated major words (e.g., Self-Report not Self-report); and

Capitalize all words of four letters or more.

This boils down to using lowercase only for “minor” words of three letters or fewer, namely, for conjunctions (words like and, or, nor, and but), articles (the words a, an, and the), and prepositions (words like as, at, by, for, in, of, on, per, and to), as long as they aren’t the first word in a title or subtitle.
APA Style Blog: Capitalization (The America Psychological Association defines and refines, in most cases, the preferred style for professional and scholarly writings. )

jbbaldwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 1, 2012
We are simply encouraging everyone to do their best.
The word everyone takes a singular object, i.e., his, as in, "We encourage everyone to do his best," n'est-ce pas?
As for style sheets, how about the great, vaunted, most excellent Chicago Manual of Style?
(Why anybody follows a style manual from a bunch of psychologists is beyond me!) :)

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Thank you Jbbaldwin, we Moderators aren't perfect.

I have taken your suggestion and wording, and changed both the rule and my original post in this thread.
I know it probably seems like I've been nit-picky, and have been nagging too.

In reality I have been.
Kevin has asked me to try to keep the Forum Main page looking good and inviting.

Lately it has taken more and more of my "moderating time" to correct the titles, leaving less and less time to read all the posts, enjoy them, and make the occasional post as well... therefore the "motivated by enlightened self interest" stated above.
I wish to thank everyone, sincerely, for the very noticeable improvement.

I really do appreciate the extra effort.

Our Members, always have been, and really are the best.
Thanks Guys.

:puffy:

jbbaldwin

Aug 1, 2012
Ah, I was only trying to be funny, which never works. We appreciate your work on keeping the forums going. The efforts are noticeable. Cheers!

locopony

Jun 7, 2011
I don't think I have witnessed much trouble with this happening, but I don't read every thread.

piperl12

Apr 7, 2012
Well coming from someone who is spelling challenged and always has been I appreciate your extra work to aid us non-spellers having said that though I will aspire to spell check my work.....wait that would be a great addition to the forums......Lawrence? LOL

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I believe that most browsers have a spell checker built in.

If a misspelled word has a row of red dots beneath it... double click on the word then right click on the highlighted word and there should be one or two sometimes more selections to choose from, then click on the appropriate word spelling... and poof!
However; we don't worry about spelling to much. We try to avoid changing someone's posts.

We pay more attention to the titles. :D
:puffy:

wildcat

Jan 1, 2012
Lawrence, I have a habit of short handing some words such as tho = though or making certain posts easy going or down homey by saying, or typing as is the case here, things like "wuddaya think?" or "who wudda thunk!?" No objections to this if it remains out of the titles?

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I have no problem at all with "Who Wudda Thunk!?" in a title.

Just as long as you use the proper forms of Y'all (singular form) and All Y'all (plural form). :nana:

wildcat

Jan 1, 2012
I have no problem at all with "Who Wudda Thunk!?" in a title.

Just as long as you use the proper forms of Y'all (singular form) and All Y'all (plural form).
Youse is da best! Tanks alot... er, a lot! :wink:

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
The word everyone takes a singular object, i.e., his, as in, "We encourage everyone to do his best," n'est-ce pas?
Since the English language lacks a gender neutral singular pronoun that doesn't sound slightly dehumanizing ("We are simply encouraging everyone to do its best"), the practice of using "their" as a singular pronoun is gaining acceptance among academics, grammarians, and harried forum moderators. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.