PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Hi Shawn, nice to see you back. Hoosierpipeguy gave a good rundown on what has been happening. PC has become a non player in the flake or plug world. Since they were bought out by Cigars International, their inventory has gone down the tubes. Whoever their buyer is, they don't know the job.
SP,4noggins, Mars all have much better supplies of the va and vaper flakes you are looking for. There are a lot of limits now on many of the -popular flakes and plugs. The days of grabbing 25 tins and more of a favorite flake are pretty much over.

maker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 22, 2018
I bought it all but now am on a spending freeze so they should be showing up on the shelves soon.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
mikethompson,
I figured the post on 500 pounds a year was probably, as you said, tongue in cheek, but I figured lets have some fun with numbers :)
BTW, for any and all that can actually afford $45K a year on tobacco, I applaud you. Wish I had that kind of disposable income :oops:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
...So, they said, cheer up! Things could be worse. So I cheered up, and sure enough, they got worse.
That's a really old joke.

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
Thank everyone for the info, jokes, welcome backs... ect. I had forgotten about this post. I must have notifications turned off. The Frog was sold in auction. Still have the unopened tins of Pease products. Mostly latakia heavy english blends and Balkan style which were my first love as they are more forgiving to the tongue. I'll check my inbox in a bit.
So I used to press my own whole leaf tobacco's into plugs with a very crude press made of wood and c clamps. The plugs were great one I dialed in on a good blend. I jarred a bunch of it up and let it age about 6 months, burping it to let out byproducts of fermentation. Then I put them in my actual cellar which stayed about 60 degrees year around. Before I actually put the jars in storage I sealed the jars like you do when canning stuff from the garden fir winter. About 2 or so months ago I was clearing out the cold storage and there they were. All my jars. 3 different blends. A lemon/red virgina, a VaPer and a frog morton style blend that I pressed. I was not sure what to expect. They had been aging 5 years. I opened them up and let them air out for a min or 2 and smelled them. Wow. They had all taken a strong Parique note but each has it's own distinct side notes. I must say the frog morton knock off that I pressed smells another kind of wonderful. I have not tried them yet. Been letting them breathe for an hour or so a day. There is no discernable mold and it looks beautiful. I'm thinking though I created a parique type tobacco because although not under constant pressure, it is pressed and vacuum sealed in jars for 5 years. Has a parique note but much more on the sweet figgy side. I could literally can that smell and make air freshener. Lol. I'm kind of rambling as I have not slept. Insomnia us awful. I'm considering loading up my Savaneli Flake bowl with some of this tobacco later today.

Built a real press out of steel plate and a shop press. Just received 6 pounds of while leaf and fixing to out it to work.i think I'll repost this response as a topic for new thread. Thanks again.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Pictures! Pictures!
I also just got in about six pounds of whole leaf from three different vendores. Going to compare it all and make a larger purchase for aging.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
There are some excellent options from Europe. As far as VaPer flakes go here are some currently available:
Rattray: Marlin Flake

Sillems: 1695 Flake

Solani: 633

HU: Janneman Flake

Dan Tobacco: Tordenskjold Virginia Slices

Dan Tobacco: Limerick

Dan Tobacco: St. Bernard

Pfeifen Huber: Louisiana Flake
And many more.

Status
Not open for further replies.