PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

multuminparvo

Lurker
Aug 11, 2015
I started out with Dunhill's Elizabethan Mixture and hoped that the DNR would be much fuller and tastier - they are not, at least for me. So I'll stay with EM for the moment as I can simple stuff & puff it instead of doing the Origami Thing with the DNR's.

Mar 1, 2014
If you like Elizabethan and want to save a few bucks I recommend trying Sutliff Elizabethan Match. I've never had any Elizabethan from Dunhill but the match is quite tasty, and some reviewers who did smoke the original decades ago find the current match blend fairly convincing.

multuminparvo

Lurker
Aug 11, 2015
no Sutliff stuff on my end of the Planet - a Tin of EM is EUR 12.75 or USD 11.45 so it's not to bad
How much is Sutliff's?

Mar 1, 2014
Sorry, I should have remembered you were from the other side of the pond.

It's available in bulk, so I'll spare you the details but you can imagine how much the price goes down based on that alone.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
I was struggling with Solani 633
Thanks, Pat, Harris. I have some in the cellar I could not get to work for me. I will give that a try.

You can try GLP Haddo's Delight, GLP Six Pence, Rattrays Marlin Flake, Hal O The Wynd, Old Gowrie and another robust Askwith Kake from GQTobaccos.
GLP's blends require some airing/jarring (2 weeks or so) before they start showing their true colors.

Rattray's are good to go from the get go.

Askwith Kake is really epic with steamed Virginias and a truckful of Perique.
Try them out, you won't be disappointed.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
GLP's blends require some airing/jarring (2 weeks or so) before they start showing their true colors.
I totally agree with you Monk. These are the issues that make this forum well worth reading.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Ten years back, before my long break from pipe smoking I remember having liked Hal O' The Wynd, Old Gowrie, Dunhill (light) flake very much

So revisit those. The new version of Dunhill Flake is darned good. OG and HotW are both execellent; yes, allegedly, they both have perique, but if so, it is so low as to be not noticeable. I like all three,and don't smoke VaPers either.

There's no rule that you have to like VaPers. A lot of smokers do; some don't. :puffy:

P

pipebuddy

I bought a tin and have to admit I prefered Escudo. Dunhill seemed to lack in nicotine and variety of flavours. But then, things being what they are, I did rebuy and am letting my tins age some. I will be able to revisit in a few years. I think it will be much more to my liking, then.

Status
Not open for further replies.