PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

misterrogers

Can't Leave
May 16, 2011
Ohio
My parents went out to visit my grand parents, who live in Californa. Fafa (who I should call bedstefar, but that's another story) use to smoke a pipe, and said he would look around for them. Today, my parents got in. My mum looked me in the eyes, and frowned.
"He could not find his pipes," she said, looking very sad.

"That's okay, it's no-" I began to say before being cut off quickly.

"But he did find YOUR great-great-great-great grandfathers pipes."
I did not say a word. My head buzzed, as numbers flashed in my head. I could not even begin to fully understand what had been said. My great-grandfather came from Denmark around 1910 when he was 16. Thus, these pipes came with him across the ocean. And before that, his great grandfather smoked them. I figure these pipes are at least 200 years old, if not older.
Here they are. I think they are clay, but I can't really tell. As you can see, one even has a bit of baccy in it. That is to say, I own baccy my Fourth grandfather smoked.

loneredtree

Part of the Furniture Now
May 27, 2011
Sierra Foothills
Very nice to get those pipes. The pictures show up for me. I participate in face book, the avatar I use there showed up, so that may be why. They may be clay but I have seen similar pipes and wondered if they are meerschaum. I think that weighing them would be a way of telling. Clay should be much more heavy. The second one looks like meer coloring. If both pipe chambers are the same size, weigh them and see if one is very much more lite.
The broken flexible stem can be fixed but on the site that I found it is expensive.
:clap:

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Pics showed up for me this time.

Those aren't clay my friend, those are meerschaum lap pipes, and really nice ones too.

Even more awesomer than before.

Don't let your mom anywhere near them :D

dongreyface

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 6, 2011
Marietta, Ohio
That is awesome brother. I was hoping to have a similar situation as I learned my grandfather whom dies 2 years before I was born smoked a pipe. But when I inquired about them, my mother said they threw them away after he died. But never the less, that is outstanding for you, cherish them.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Very cool. My fam on my father's side is very secretive... so i'm not sure if anyone smoked a pipe or if they have stuff from them or not. I have to wait til they all die to find out....
COOL PIPES THOUGH!!!! I would probably smoke em ONCE, and definately keep the toby your greatgreatgreatgreat grandfather was smoking! Put it in a frame with a pic of him or something lol. Very Cool.

tobakenist

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Middle England
I have a 1886 meerschaum very simular to your g-g-g-g-grandfathers that I picked up on ebay for £6 english a few years ago and fitted a Peterson stem to it and it smokes a treat.

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
Treasures indeed!

I know that if I found myself in a similar circumstance I'd be restoring and smoking those.

They do really appear to be meerschaum from the way they are colored. I trust you'll post pics in the future if you do any restorations?

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
Invest the money to have them professionally restored and you'll treasure them for another lifetime, and following generations. And definitely don't let your mum anywhere near them this time! :lol: Congrats, Mr R :clap:

ichbinmuede

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2011
I share the opinion of Romeowood on getting them professionally restored.
Hah but having the pipe with baccy in it in a frame with a picture of your quadruple great grandfather would be pretty excellent. So too would smoking it and having that connection with your ancestors. Haha not the baccy mind you but the pipe.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I would definitely smoke them. I'm not so sure about having them restored.

I think I would just pick up where the last smoker left off.

Being one of your distant forebear's makes it entirely cool. :clap:

Status
Not open for further replies.