PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

phxrock

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
Yesterday I pulled out a piece od Kendal Plug that was gifted to me by a forum member I sliced and cubed it then tried to rub it out. It sat out for about 6 hours to dry. Went to work and looked forward to smoking it. Got home and had dinner then packed it into a bowl.
This is when a small problem occured. After a couple of minutes my heart started to race and my chest started to hurt. This tells me I am not able to smoke tobaccos that have a large amount of Vit-N. This also tells me I will have to be careful while choosing my tobaccos Hopfully I can find some flake I can smoke.
Thanks

John

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Just drink plenty of good single malt scotch, or kentucky bourbon, 45+ proof, and you will be fine....... just gotta exorcise those demons..... Good luck and enjoy the ride! :lol:

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I hear ya' John!
Today, I was smoking GH Brown bogie and needed to grab some fruit juice about half-way through. 8O
There are tons of lower nic options out there, so it shouldn't be too hard.
Here's a few that I think are more mild-medium:
Orlik Golden Sliced

PS LNF

McClelland Christmas Cheer

Fribourg & Treyer Vintage

Newminster #400

phxrock

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
Soymilkisgood -I guess it was good I was smoking a small bowled briar that I found just for ropes and plugs.
Beefeater33 - I have been Dry for 27 years can't start that again.
CobGuy - really enjoy LNF, and LBF. OGS haven't tried it yet, when I have the cash Bigsticks is out. I have sampled Comoy Cask #7,Cask #4 and 4th Gen flake. Bigsticks has a few tins out as samples.
John

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Beefeater33 - I have been Dry for 27 years can't start that again.

Sorry John- Open mouth , insert foot!!

In a more serious nature, Most ropes and plugs are pretty stout. However, I find that Wessex gold brick plug is fairly mild, and an enjoyable smoke. just slice it how you like it and smoke it slow, lots of flavor and it really is an underrated tobacco IMO.

PM me, I'll send you a brick.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I have never had those issues before with the exception of the 'Cotton Ball Twist' derivatives which can deliver a very dangerous dose of nicotine that can even catch a strong baccy junky like myself off guard. I smoke rope on a daily basis since I slice it up very fine and mix equal amounts Condor and a shredded dark leaf I get from Dan together to make up an excellent blend. I usually make sufficient to fill my tobacco pouch to last one day as I hate stale tobacco. As a blend I have posted about it before on this forum before, and whilst it is a stout blend it delivers enough nicotine and flavor to satisfy.

owen

Part of the Furniture Now
May 28, 2014
I have had exactly the same happen with a rope tobacco, and now I just add a bit at a time to my leftovers mix.

easterntraveler

Dec 29, 2012
I have never tried ropes or plugs. I have a pretty good tolerance for the nic but I heard it doesn't matter somtimes. I would look into capstan they seem to have a mild amount of nicotine.

darwin

Apr 9, 2014
It's all about titrating the dose. Cut an eighth of an inch of rope and try that for starters. If not enough then another one sixteenth for the next bowl, too much then slice a bit less, and so on. Use the smallest pipe you have or half /quarter fill what you do. Ropes are very tightly compressed and even an eighth of an inch rubs out to a lot more bowl filler, and delivers a lot more nic, than you think it will. And oh yeah use a cheap cigar cutter instead of a knife, much easier to get a precise cut.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
@Darwin Cigar Cutter! You heathen! I use the same old folding pen knife used by my Father and sometimes I use the iron bladed one from my Grandfather. You get finer shavings off the twist that way although the American twist has a lovely habit of unraveling itself into tobacco leaves which can make for just a few difficulties.

phxrock

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
Some time in a few days I'll give it another shot but not at night. This timenI cut the plug in 1/8" coins and tried to rub them out, that didn't work so I cubed it.

I will still have to be careful since I do have a cardiac issue. Things will work out there is cake and flake out there with good flavor and lower nic.
John

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
I like Black xx rope but I smoke it in a very small GBD prince and always outside .I also find the coconut pretty tasty as well .

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like some full strength tobacco blends like C&D Dark Burley, Old Joe Krantz, Billy Budd, and so on. And some

plugs are quite pleasant, such as GLP Triple Play. I might try a black rope (which is supposed to be a little milder

than brown rope). But it's not a contest to make your head spin. If you want something pretty strong, go at it

sensibly; try it first in your smallest pipe, or packing only a fraction of a medium bowl, to see how it goes. Very

strong blends can also be mixed with milder tobacco for a boost. Go with the strength you enjoy. Many mild

blends pretty much have it all (except dizziness and nausea). Nat Sherman 536 is among the most complex and

interesting blends and has negligible nicotine.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
After a couple of minutes my heart started to race and my chest started to hurt....I will still have to be careful since I do have a cardiac issue.
Allow me to speak as a recent heart attack survivor: If any form of pipe smoking induces the symptoms that you are describing, you need to stop smoking NOW and talk with your cardiologist. Your health and your life are more valuable than your pipe.

phxrock

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
@woodsroad the only one that has given me trouble has been the rope and plugs. When I tried Warrior I didn't have any problems. The first time I tried the Kendal no problem. So for now I will stick to flake and some cake along with the burley I normally smoke.

Its a bear to get in to see the heart doc.
John

billypm

Can't Leave
Oct 24, 2013
I'm with woodsroad on this one. Chest pain???!!! Not good. Seriously. Do whatever you like, of course, but...

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
phxrock, I'm telling you man, just because you only "feel" it when it's this tobacco or that tobacco, there's a serious problem going on. It may only evidence itself as pain under certain circumstances, but the problem is ongoing whenever you smoke. Don't rationalize it away. You need to get in to see the doc ASAP.
If you need to stop smoking, it's better that you decide, and not the guy with the robes and scythe.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Hey man, I hope it all works out. I am with Woods... well I am not WITH Woods, as I am married, several states away, etc. I do AGREE with him. You probably should swing by the doc just to make sure this wasn't a warning sign of a worsening condition.
It would be better to get a "doc cleared me" or a "Ropes saved my life" post on here than to drive on, not knowing...
We are a brotherhood. I know I am kinda hyper on here and stuff, but the guys on the box pass I think will vouch I am good people. I really like the folks on here and I value their life experiences and vast knowledge of this Pipe and beyond.
Take care and get checked out.
Mike

Oct 12, 2014
Threads like this make me realize my nicotine tolerance must be off the charts as I can, and do smoke ropes/cotton boll all day long...
That said I don't get chest pains etc and I agree with the fellas above. Go get that checked out..

Status
Not open for further replies.