PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

vokaa

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 7, 2017
I've been stalking the Smoking Pipes website, looking at Tobacco and such.
About 10 hours ago, I stumbled upon the Pipes section of the website. One pipe caught my eye, I fell in love with it almost instantly: A Nording: Valhalla Partially Rusticated
002-508-6201.jpg

I was wondering how Nording pipes are? This one is on sale, and I feel the urge to buy to smoke maybe VAs with.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Nordings are great Danish pipes. I'm sure Anthony will chime in about these.

Jan 8, 2013
Nordings are great. From low cost to hight cost, they are great pipes. I have Nordings ranging from the low cost Signature to grade 19 (highest being 20) and I love them all.
Edit to add: In my opinion, you can't go wrong with a Nording.

vokaa

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 7, 2017
I saw some Rusticated ones, but this partially rusticated is just beautiful to me. Thank you for the input... I may succumb and buy this one soon.

vokaa

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 7, 2017
On sale from $84 to $67, may have to put some money aside for it.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Hey! That pipe also caught my eye, don't you dare buy it!
:D
J/K. I was actually wanting the Valhalla partially rusticated bent apple. Good to know Nording is a safe buy. Now I'm kinda torn between Vauen and Nording for my next acquisition. :?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have not seen any complaints about Nordings that I recall, and I have heard a lot of praise. My three fulfill this optimism. Eric Nording is a grand old man of pipe carving and manufacture. He makes no bones about farming out some of his work to countries other than his native Denmark, but he trained as an engineer, and he knows how to have a pipe drilled, fitted, and finished correctly. Two of my Nordings are gifts, from friends and from my wife, and they are excellent all-around. I never hesitate to pack 'em and enjoy them. Plus, I think he has an excellent sense of design. His pipes tend to be distinctly Danish in look, but in a discriminating and artful way. I'd go for the pipe you like.

The Valhallas are all machine made and there are thousands of brand new ones still on the market. I have the full line. Erik told me that he also will supply his retailers with replacement stems for these. So, if you ever break one or bit through one, just find someone to get hold of him, and he will send you one, for a small fee, I'm sure.

Great smokers, I love the Valhalla line or as Erik calls them, the "Numbers" line of pipes, because each pipe has a number assigned to it to make matching stems easier. Plus, they are cheap as hell.
Edit, whoops, I had said "stamps" instead of "stems." I've corrected it.

vokaa

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 7, 2017
Irresistible price.
Yeah... I have to decide between more tobacco or the pipe though. May have to go for the tobacco and get the pipe another day!

scrumpyjack

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 16, 2014
Texas
This Nording was the first pipe my wife bought me. A freehand point clear. I have had it for several years and have no complaints.

DyocgvS.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My three Nordings, I didin't have to break in at all. Can't promise this in every case, but mine were go to go, right out of the sock.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
My three Nordings, I didin't have to break in at all. Can't promise this in every case, but mine were go to go, right out of the sock.
Hmm? Did they come with a factory cake or something? Not trying to be snarky, I'm genuinely interested. The breaking-in process is one of the least appealing things to me about pipe smoking. Especially when you're starting out, sometimes you can't bring yourself to smoke a pipe all the way to the bottom.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Funny about flavors with new pipes. Many pipes, coated or not, don't impart a flavor for me. As I recall, one of the Nordings had no coating and the others did, but all I experienced was the blend I packed. I could have a particularly undiscriminating sense of taste, but I don't find that I need cake nor much more than a thin carbon layer to have a good flavor. I've had a few pipes that had to be smoked out to get to a neutral place, but mostly not. I much prefer no coating on a new pipe, but most coatings don't give me a problem. I've never built cake, don't ream my pipes, don't own a reamer. I've had one or two pipes for more than forty years, and others for decades, or many years, and have never built cake. There's a small but devoted cadre of Forums members that prefer that way of going. Wipe out the bowl with a paper towel/napkin after scooping it out thoroughly with a tool. You don't lose chamber diameter, another benefit.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
2015-11-05-215057-450x600.jpg

This Nording is the first briar pipe I've ever bought. I smoke only Latakia blends in it and I just love this pipe, however it just doesn't smoke right.

Status
Not open for further replies.