PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

salmonfisher

Can't Leave
Feb 12, 2014
I am curious if there are certain blends out there, while not being an aromatic, that do have sweet or some other flavour. I have been smoking mainly Aro's the past 4 weeks, completely off cigs after a pack a day. I just got in some old dark fired, upon opening the tin, I find the smell to be very strong, to me it smells like a very harsh cigar flavour. I never really enjoyed string cigars. While I have tried this ODF yet, I will be shocked if I do indeed like it.
So, what non Aro's should I order in next, that will not have the strong smell of the ODF?

rockford

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 4, 2013
Try cube cutting the ODF and let it dry out for an hour. You will like it, it has a meaty and malty flavor which you will fall in live with by the halfway mark.

aquilas

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2013
I'd say Frog Morton's Cellar or Mississippi River. They definitely don't have that sweet aro smell, but I definitely get a sweet flavor from them.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Sutliff Great Outdoors is a must. For a tobacco that labels itself as a non-aromatic, it has one heck of a room note. Tastes fabulous too.

Jan 8, 2013
A tip I got from cosmicfolklore is to rub the flakes out, then set them out to dry until they get almost crispy. Then enjoy. You will get a nice tangy tobacco flavor that is amazing. I smoked aros only for almost 2 years, but between ODF and Nightcap, I have been changing my ways.

erichbaumer

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
I've never had them, but the Frog Morton's tend to be popular crossovers from aro to non. You may also enjoy a lighter flake than ODF. I'd specifically recommend Stokkebye's Bullseye Flake. It's a VA/Per medallion with cavendish in the center, which gives it a smoother, mellower and sweeter taste than the average VA/Per. It's also not too heavy on the perique.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I'd recommend MacBaren's Roll Cake. It's a VA/burley/cavendish/perique spun-cut that comes in dime-size coins. Halfway down the bowl, there is a burst of sweetness that seems to happen, on-cue, every single time I smoke it. You might really enjoy that.
It's occasionally hard to find, but I'd also suggest And So to Bed by Esoterica. It's essentially an English with cavendish (and something else) that I find truly delicious. It's one of my favorite tobaccos.
If you're open to rum or cocoa, I'd suggest Samuel Gawith's Navy Flake (for the rum) and Gawith & Hoggarth's Bob's Chocolate Flake (for the cocoa). You may think these sound like aromatics, but they're not. "Bob's" even has a touch of latakia in it. But both are quite tasty flakes that may be just what you're looking for.
Finally, I'll mention McClelland's Anniversary, which doesn't get enough exposure here. It's an absolutely wonderful VA/latakia mixture -- not very much latakia and no other orientals -- that sounds simple and boring and is exactly the opposite of that. It is fantastic, and it'll likely only get better with age.
Bob

mrdottle

Lurker
Jan 13, 2014
Frankly, I think it is a rite of passage that all new pipe smokers gravitate to and smoke only aromatics. After all, they sound so appealing with many of them having seemingly mouth watering blend names. But nothing is as constant as change: aros soon or eventually fall out of favor with most pipe smokers.
Virginia’s tend to be sweeter. Some VAs and VAPERS:
Gawith Golden Glow

GL Pease Montgomery

C&D Three Friars
For milder, sweeter burley and BURVA blends:
Uhle’s 00

Park Lane Fireside

C&D Pegasus

C&D Lunchtime Blues (Burley, VA with some oriental / Turkish)

P&C Old Companion

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'll second the motion on C&D Pegasus, though it may seem a little harsh at first. The broader the bowl, the

better it goes, in my experience. A big wide pipe is fine, but it has an edge in a smaller, narrower bowl.
I thought Sutliff Great Outdoors was an aromatic, but I certainly enjoyed it. None on hand at present, but

I would buy it again. Very pleasant, so it went quickly.
Altadis "Queen Anne's Revenge" has a bit of rum in it, hence is aro, but is mostly Va/bur/Cav, and you

might well enjoy that.
Also, try around with Virginias and plain burley. Some of them has a genuine sweetness.
If you can do plug, GLP Triple Play is on the medium strong side, but is a pleasant smoke.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
If you like aromatics, there's no reason to drop them from your rotation. That being said, there are a lot of sweet non-aro's out there. Obviously, that sweetness is not going to ever be as intense as a heavily sauced aromatic.
To me, natural sweetness means virginias. Capstan Blue is very sweet to my taste. Someone above mentioned Mac Baren roll cake; I've never had that, but I'm a big fan of Mac Baren Club Blend, another one of their spun tobaccos. Both Roll Cake and Club Blend are cased with a little bit of maple sugar. To me it's not discernable as a maple flavor, just a subtle sweetness.
Another good choice (and another spun cut tobacco) is Peter Stokkebye's Luxury Bullseye Flake. Each coin is a blend of virginias and perique around a center of sweet black cavendish. It's a great smoke where the cavendish sweetness weaves in and out. It's also relatively inexpensive.

salmonfisher

Can't Leave
Feb 12, 2014
About to try the ODF, wish me luck
I have Stokkebyes Nougat on order, but I guess that is an aro asps well.
Navy Flake and Bobs Chocolate will be on next order.
I really want to stay away from the harsher smelling blends, wifey will kick me out of garage lol

salmonfisher

Can't Leave
Feb 12, 2014
The ODF wasn't really that bad, wow, the smell in the tin seemed overpowering, yet the smoke wasn't all that bad. It wont be on the top of my list, but it certainly will get rotation.
Thanks for tips guys, much appreciated.
I guess more then anything, I am looking to replace the nicotine in the cigs I used to smoke with nicotine in pipe tobacco. The ODF seemed to take the edge off.
Love to find a softer Aro that had a good nicotine kick to it.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Love to find a softer Aro that had a good nicotine kick to it
Erik Stokkebye 1931 flake. Has that old-tyme-pipey room note, sweet but not cloying taste, slow, cool burning, decent nic hit. If you fold and stuff, pack it loose and don't tamp it down or it will block the draw. I'm liking it more rubbed out these days.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
Last night at the pipe club meeting I tried Peterson Irish Flake. I thought it had a very nice sweet flavor and also a pretty big nic hit.

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
you could always try mixing an aro with a VA to retain some of that sweetness. I took some scraps of escudo and Peter Stokkebye Luxury Bullseye Flake, and added some Captain Black White (regular?) with it. I'm really enjoying it. Put them all in a jar for a few days to let the tobaccos "marry."

salmonfisher

Can't Leave
Feb 12, 2014
Oh, I didn't think of placing two different blends in a jar, that's a great idea to "marry" them.
Thanks

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
try it newly mixed and then try it again after it's been sitting a few days (or even weeks) and you should be able to notice a difference

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
mac baren's 7 seas gold is a nice non aromatic/ virginia type blend. Has a great tin and room note. Also has a great sweeter flavor, but is not over powering.

Status
Not open for further replies.