Non-aromatic, Non-OTC VaBur Recommendations?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
I'm looking to try some nice non-aromatic, ribbon-cut VaBur blends. What would you recommend as a tasty, satisfying smoke that's also a practical option for cellaring? I really enjoy VaBur flakes like GH Brown Flake, and I'm pretty well set for the flakes. I'm looking for something where there's a good balance between the VA and the Burley, and one doesn't totally overshadow the other. I'm not a huge Cavendish fan, but I like it in some blends, so VaBurCavs with a decent amount of nicotine are also of interest.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Im a burley va/bur noob but so far i like these two:

Esoterica Tilbury
CD Briar Fox (a cake but crumbles instantly)

Id guess Tilbury has the better aging potential but no long term experience with either. Tilbury is also one of the finest, smoothest tobaccos ive ever had in general.

Also really like gh dark flake unscented but u said no flakes...

Last edited:

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
I've been eyeing the Briar Fox - should finally get on that before Didi runs the remaining supply through his Grabow.
Tilbury is wonderful but such a pain to get. Love the DFU too, been hitting that in the mornings lately.

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
I’ll second Tilbury for a great one. Also Stonehaven, but it’s so hard to find I only smoke it as a treat. If more strength is to your liking, Gawith Hoggarth Dark Birdseye is a great fine ribbon/shag with some serious chutzpah.

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
Thanks, fellas - will definitely check out Briar Fox, Kendal Dark and North Star. Birdseye is a favorite, I smoke a ton of the stuff, but always thought of it as a VA-DFK blend.

I don't how many hundreds of aromatic blend descriptions I've read with some variation of "a luxurious blend of finest Virginias, hearty Burleys and cool Cavendish drenched in a fetid sauce of Cocoa Puffs and Fruity Pebbles". That seems to be the standard American aromatic base. Don't they make any good blends with these components, but without the sauce? Searching for non-aromatic VaBur ribbon on TRC brings up 141 blends, which is a big pond to dip one's toe in without a little guidance.

Status
Not open for further replies.