PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I've had my eye on a Ryan Alden Author shape for the better part of year, including emails with Ryan on a commission. But, it just never came together. A few days before the NOLA show, Ryan posted that he would be in attendance. So, I messaged him inquiring about an Author shape. He was bringing just one, a top-of-the-line smooth. As soon as he sent me a camera pix of the pipe, I was hooked. So, I spent most of my show funds the night before! I was on pins and needles the night before the show and as the doors opened, I made a bee-line for Ryans table and sealed the deal.
Throughout the show, Ryan took some time to come out side and have a quick smoke and chat with the show attendees. I rarely buy a new pipe and previous to this, I've never met the carver. So, that was a real treat and something I'll always remember about the show and this pipe.
At the table, I pulled the stem and once I saw the tenon features, I was hooked. A cleaner glides to the bottom. The first smoke was at the venue and despite my yakking non-stop with folks, the pipe just stay lit. This one will have a very memorable spot in my collection. Ryan sent me this pix last night, we're still working our way home (in Memphis for two days).

You can see I was pretty excited to have grabbed this one.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Al you have a great smile. Looks like you hd a great time. I clicked the photo link without reading your post and what stood out to me the most was 1) Ryan needs to lose some serious height and 2) that tenon. Ryan tended to the finer points which often seem an afterthought even on pipes with price tags orders of magnitude above. The stem is quite graceful, something that really distinguishes the shape.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Congrats on your Alden pickup, Al. That's a lovely, lovely, pipe. Ryan is making wonderful pipes at the moment, and you got a corker!
Ryan, congrats on what looks like a great show buddy. Any show where Ryan is too busy to a) smoke or b) drink must mean brisk trade.
-- Pat

Jan 8, 2013
Gorgeous pipe Al. Ryan's work has been catching my eye for a few years now, I really love his style. I'm hoping come tax time this year I can finally get my hands on one!

morton

Part of the Furniture Now
May 3, 2012
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
Nice pipe, Al. Looks like it fits right in your favorite shape category. Ryan has made a few pipes for me in similar shapes to that. If yours smokes as good as mine do, you'll never have a bad smoke out of it. Congratulations, Ryan! Your stuff just keeps looking better and better. Of course, we're going to have to disagree about the BlueJays and the Rangers.....
Post 666. Hmmmm....

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Very nice and so you know this is the straw that broke the camels back and for me searching for an Author you enabler you! ;) Beautiful pipe enjoy it.

banjo

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Fabulous grain, and a nice size pipe. From the pipe photo, I thought it was one of these heavyweights, but from the photo of you and the carver, it's a good-sized pipe but not a doorstop. It's a beauty.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Al I'm glad you wound up with this one, and even happier to know you are enjoying it. With your love for Authors it means a lot to me that this one is a part of your collection !
Any show where Ryan is too busy to a) smoke or b) drink must mean brisk trade.
Pat you know me too well. I did get some smokes in, though some shows it seems like I'm there to smoke, and take a pipe selling break every now and then ! Brian Levine kept grabbing me by the shirt sleeve and dragging me back to my table this time around haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.