PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

papawhisky

Lurker
Jan 29, 2019
Austin, Texas
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title - Bob

Full disclosure, new pipe smoker of about 6 weeks. I've been trying out a range of styles to see what I like (for now)... ? So far I like English and Aromatics best.
Anyway, I made a TAD order of a variety of blends, two of which were aromatics: Davidoff Red Mixture and Dobie's four Square Aromatic. Now I love Davidoff Cigars, so I was pretty confident about this one, plus it got many good reviews. No reviews at all on the Dobie's, so I was just taking a gamble.
Tried the Davidoff first and was really disappointed. The tin smelled fantastic, but in the pipe - very soapy at first and artificial tasting, then utterly bland and tasteless. Hard to keep lit. Also, some tongue bite from a supposedly biteless blend according to the reviews. 3 bowls in, and I've learned to REALLY dry this out before smoking - much less bite, but then it's entirely bland and tasteless throughout the bowl.
The Dobie's four square; 180 degrees different! A really wonderful smoke. Nice flavor, no bite, can taste the tobacco along with complimentary vanilla/caramel/apricot notes. Already thinking of ordering another tin to cellar.
That got me curious so I went back through the reviews for the Davidoff. All the positive ones were from 2017 and before. Maybe they changed the blend/formula? Or maybe my palette is not sophisticated enough yet to appreciate it?
Your thoughts and suggestions are appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: danimalia

papawhisky

Lurker
Jan 29, 2019
Austin, Texas
Or, possibly, most likely, your palate isn't identical to the various reviewers'. Once you find some blends you like find some reviewers with similar tastes. Now you have a bit of a bench mark.
Yep, I agree and realize this is a journey and my taste will change along the way. Just hoping anyone who has recently smoked either blend will contribute their experience so I can progress along my path.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Try Davidoff Scottish Mixture. I quite liked it, for what that's worth...
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/441/davidoff-scottish-mixture
:)

Reactions: TinCup

blackadderlxx

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2018
Try Davidoff Scottish Mixture. I quite liked it, for what that's worth...
Interesting how everyone has different tastes. I was just coming here to say that this specific blend put me off Davidoff. I didn't think it was bad, just expensive for the quality of it. But different strokes...

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
I just tried Davidoff Scottish Mixture again after I had put it in the jar about two years ago. It still has the same flat taste with only a hint of tastiness here and there. I'm glad this is the only blend I had purchased from Davidoff. I'm happy for all of you who like it.

garageboy

Might Stick Around
Jul 15, 2019
Davidoff cigars are wonderful Henke Kelner blends that are so unique and distinctive

Their pipe tobacco seems to be just whatever off the shelf Orlik tobaccos

Reactions: oldtoby

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Garageboy kind of said what I was going to. Davidoff has a lot more control over their cigars, which are made in their own factories post-Cuba. Their pipe blends are made for them by other manufacturers. That doesn't mean they're bad, as that's the case for most pipe tobacco brands these days, including plenty of highly-regarded tobaccos.

cosgringo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 17, 2019
CO Springs
Funny- I found Davidoff's way overpriced on the cigar side when I was a heavy avid cigar smoker. Of course everyone's taste differ on cigars as well but I never felt they warranted the price. I know a lot of folks found them smooth and perfect smokes but I found good Ashtons that were much more friendly to my wallet. I don't see me jumping on the pipe tobacco Davidoff bandwagon due to that.
Still figuring things out myself. About 3-4 months now.

Status
Not open for further replies.