PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mp31guitar

Lifer
Jun 28, 2011
I was on smokingpipes.com earlier and was fixing to check out when I realized, I don't really need all this stuff. I have been looking at pipes lately and nothing is catching my eye. I have plenty of mason jars full of tobacco so I don't really need any. So, I have decided not to buy any pipes or tobacco until I have smoked most of what I already have. This will also help me learn to enjoy more blends that I have since I was mainly only smoking Blue Note. This will be good for me because I do have a nice variety of blends to choose from.
So, no more PAD or TAD for me for a while. Unless, I see a pipe I can't live without or until I make my annual pilgrimage to Low Country Tobacco (smokingpipes.com).

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I won't try to sway you into buying pipes, but I would suggest that you reconsider your pledge not to purchase any more tobacco if your finances allow it. Strike while the iron is hot - prices won't be this low for much longer in my humble opinion...
You could, however, vow not to open any more tins until all of your current stores are smoked.
That would be a wise decision all around.
By all means, do as you see fit - but if you know you like Blend A or Blend B then you will be doing yourself a favour by stocking up right now. (I don't mean 100 tins - maybe you will be satisfied with 2 or 3 each)

gray4lines

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 6, 2012
KY
That is a fun store with great people!
I would 2nd buying tobacco you like, but if you have all you want, smoke away!

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
affraid.gif

It's a miracle cure! :D
Your wallet will love you.
Now.... I have a lightly smoked..... :D
:puffy:

mp31guitar

Lifer
Jun 28, 2011
Thanks for the reply's guys but, when I read simenon's post I could actually see the logic in it. I'm currently making my order again. It should be here friday. I just hope I live long enough to smoke all the tobacco I have.

mustanggt

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 6, 2012
Whew!!! I thought we had somebody goin off the reservation there for a minute there boys. All is well. Move along nothing to see here. :mrgreen:

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
mp31guitar,
I just wouldn't want to see you end up without any tobacco if/when prices go through the roof.
If things stayed the same, then there wouldn't be any problem with your initial plan.
Unfortunately, though, it may get harder to purchase your favourite blends and they may skyrocket in price so if you can spare the money there is no such thing as too much tobacco at this point.
There's enough estate pipes on the market to last us all until our dying days, nevermind the new stock that's still coming onstream.
Keep in mind that there are no sin taxes on pipes... (Sales tax is nothing to worry about, though it is an inconvenience)

yadan

Can't Leave
Dec 23, 2012
Central Galilee, Israel
"So, no more PAD or TAD for me for a while..."
Right. Now someone else tell one... :lol:
"Unless, I see a pipe I can't live without..."
Happens to me almost every day... :crying:

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
There will be more and amazing pipes forever. Many will never be smoked. They're a hot collectable for people that don’t even smoke. Being handmade and really with just a few artisans, their value is increasing. Books keep coming out for identifying and who’s-who. Pipes going for thousands of dollars are common place. Smoking is taboo, but not the artistry in a pipe.
Tobacco on the same hand will do nothing but grow in value. The quality of the product grows (VA) with time. The ever increasing taxing will start to snuff out manufactures and blends as it becomes more about business then the enjoyment of throwing together blends in a golden age of people stocking up. The Internet sales tax will more than likely be pushed through this year, way too much money to be had, and the government sees it as an easy bleed on commerce. The amount on new pipe smokers is less than those who don’t smoke anymore. So buy all the tobacco you can! Store and identify it properly and it will be an investment. *stopping rant*
Craig

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
I vow not to buy anymore tobacco or pipes. Unless I see a cool pipe I want.... er, and unless I see some cool new tobacco I want to try.. And um, unless I see other tobacco I want to stock up on. :lol:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Nice to stop focusing on buying for a while, pipes and tobacco, and get to know the pipes you have.

Nothing like finishing off a pouch of 1.5 ounces or 4 oz of bulk to know if you really want to get

more of that for a while, or ever. I like to see some wear on my pipes, but not from misuse nor

neglect. In the Nineteenth Century, a man with three pipes was a rich guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.