PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

techie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2018
Just not for me it seems. Not one of the nine I've smoked appeals to me.
So a bit of background: I started smoking pipes two months ago. I soon heard of the demise of Dunhill and read quite a number of comments by disappointed fans, so one of my earliest purchases was nine Dunhill tins that appeared interesting to me. I figured I should at least experience these "prized" blends before they go away. I opened the last of the nine today and smoked a bowl and, well, I just didn't care for it. And each of the nine left this odd aftertaste that I didn't like at all. So what is it about Dunhill blends I don't take to?
It's not that they are English, because I have tried mostly English blends and discovered many favorites out of the 49 blends I've smoked since July.
I know some will say I should jar them and give 'em another go in 6 months, a year, 6 years. I have no intention of doing that. I think what I'll probably do is give it a month or two and try each one again. By then I will have met the requirements to post a sell/trade notice and pass them along to someone who will enjoy them if my experience hasn't changed. I'd much rather try other blends I might like. I don't really have plans to build a cellar.
Any others feel the same as I do?

cohibajoe

Mar 2, 2018
Branchburg, NJ
I am cellaring Dark Flake, Flake and found 10 Tins of ELIZABETHAN this week. Will miss Dunhill..No..

For my palate, Peter Heinrichs Dark Strong Flake and Rattray's Dark Fragrant replaces Dunhill Dark Flake with ease.

hugodrax

Can't Leave
Jan 24, 2013
Anybody else ever read “Smoking as a Fine Art” by Milne?. This fellow rather reminds me of it, somehow. In another month, he’ll be ready for his own custom blend.

techie

Jul 20, 2018
Anybody else ever read “Smoking as a Fine Art” by Milne?. This fellow rather reminds me of it, somehow. In another month, he’ll be ready for his own custom blend.
Having read Milne's short piece, I'm not quite sure how to take your comment. Lol.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
I'm not fussed for most Dunhill blends. Early Morning, Nightcap, London Mixture, 965... not my thing. The Light Flake (now just Flake) is incredible, and I looooove Durbar for some reason.
So don't tar them all with the same brush, they are worth exploring. The Navy Rolls, for example, are unlike almost every other tobacco in existence.
they are worth exploring, but you shouldn't be trying to force yourself to like things you don't like.

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
To each, their own. My first English and first love was 965. It is still my favorite, I love other blends too, but 965 still holds a special spot.
Nightcap

The Aperitif

Elizabethan Mixture

London Mixture

Dunhill Flake

and Dark Flake will always be favorite tobaccos of mine.
There are other tobacco brand I love too.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I'm with uncleyoda, in that my first blend I really had was a Dunhill. Nightcap will always have a spot with me, at least until my 5 or so tins are gone.
But everyone has their favorites and not everyone has the same favorites.

chilipalmer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2017
I am very fond of all the Dunhill blends, but, I am not certain whether it's the blends themselves or nostalgia for Dunhill, Ltd. and the storied days of yore. I suspect I should continue smoking those blends until I sort it out.
Cheers,
Chili

jrenko

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 26, 2016
Scandinavia
I never cared to buy more then 2tins of nightcap so i dont know what i am missing and i like it that way.

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
I grew up smoking Dunhill tins and they were (still are) some of my go-to blends. EMP, Aperitif and Royal Yacht are my favorite three, although I do also like the Flake.
There are many others out there that are as good or better, so I'm not sweating it. Perhaps the K&K iterations will be good, if not, I've got a few Dunhill tins stashed away for a rainy day.

foursidedtriangle

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 22, 2018
Dunhill products do have that harsh bitter taste to it sometimes. I think 965 was just awesome, Nightcap not so much.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
never been a big fan of most of the Sutliff products. I'm also not fond of clowns
Philistine! }:)
Yeah, 4ST, I'm with you. 965 & RY I liked, but Nightcap, EMP, bleh. Like you said, sometimes just a little battery-acid-ish, like Mickey D's coffee..... :evil:

Civil War

Lifer
Mar 6, 2018
I for one really like the Dunhill blends, and I would miss them, but I'm well supplied. Night Cap is one of my favorite blends.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Cosmic, my friend, please forgive me. Strictly being evyl here. Thought you might not like my choice of Halloween this year. :)
clown-448x600.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.