NME: End Of An Era Of Excess, Drugs And Rock 'n' Roll.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I'm not sure if this organ made it stateside but for us 'rockers' of the 70's and 80's this was our only way (Melody Maker was a pale imitation in my book) of hearing about the latest releases from both sides of the pond and places more obscure. I remember reading about some new band called Motorhead in one issue.....about a year later I was at their first concert in Sheffield City Hall......great memories.
Last copy I bought I think cost me a mighty 25p!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-43319021
Regards,
Jay.

Dec 28, 2015
Yeah Jay I used to read both NME and Melody Maker but they were quite expensive to get over here. And speaking of rock n roll, I just picked up a used vinyl copy of Hawkwind - Hall of the Mountain Grill in really good condition.

cranseiron

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2013
McHenry, MS
Hmm, I am and was in the dark concerning these publications. I AM aware of Ziggy Marley and the Melody Makers... suppose that won't count, though. Interesting link,Jay. Not quite the same nowadays, is it?
JBC, we're you raised in Mississippi and where did you source these pub's?

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
I used to read it too - NME and New Scientist were my weekly reads for many a year. Just recently I read NME in its freesheet version - it was not at all the brilliant read it used to be.
Mike

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
I used to read it too - NME and New Scientist were my weekly reads for many a year. Just recently I read NME in its freesheet version - it was not at all the brilliant read it used to be.
Mike

Dec 28, 2015
Cranse - yes I was raised in Mississippi. I don’t recall exactly where I used to find them. Probably at bookstores in Memphis when I would get a chance. I can’t imagine that they were available in my home town at the time. I know my brother used to bring home copies of Melody Maker from college but not sure where he was getting them.

Status
Not open for further replies.